I Forge Iron

New forge check

nogrodoth

Hi, so i've gotten much of the way through construction of my first gas forge, but I wanted to check with any exerienced people here before I apply the Satanite cement stuff, since it'd make what ive done so far permanent. Does it look fine or is there anything that should be changed before I go further? Like is the width of the chamber ok (3-3/4", the wool sticks out 1/8" on each side), or is it bad that some of the insulating wool sticks out past where the walls end, or anything else?

its 11" deep, 5-1/4" high, 3-3/4" wide, so i'm estimating once i put on the satanite it will have a volume of about 192.5 cubic inches.

post-38555-0-70553000-1368031908_thumb.j  post-38555-0-83795200-1368031909_thumb.j  post-38555-0-76060600-1368031910_thumb.j  post-38555-0-74149700-1368031912_thumb.j  post-38555-0-89205700-1368031913_thumb.j  post-38555-0-05419800-1368031915_thumb.j

That there my friend looks like its going to serve you well. Just hope the nipple doesnt seize in place once it comes to shut down time. Happened to and mine wasnt even threaded but either way looks nice.

only thing I would comment on is chamber shape. I like a chamber wider than tall so more pieces can be laid in to heat. The high ceiling may have heating issues (i.e. heat rises) May end up with dead wasted space. Just a thought...

I agree with Dodge, wider is more useful than taller unless you have something specific needing taller. Of course it'd be really easy to just lay your forge on its side and have two advantages. A lot of guys swear by a horizontal burner orientation though I don't see many here. #1 being the burner will be out of the exhaust plume and it won't chimney heat when you shut it down. #2 being a hot zone that extends across the forge and not splashing straight into the floor.

The biggest problems with over gunning the forge is possible back pressure issue so closing the front isn't likely to be very workable. The other issue is dragon's breath, this is going to have a LOT of flame coming out the door. If you have a well tuned burner and good regulator you can simply turn it down. On high though it's going to melt anything you don't watch.

Just NEVER stare into a hot forge IR cataracts aren't a good thing.

There's nothing wrong with test firing it before you wash the interior. Washing beig coating it with Satanite or . . .whatever. Just don't get it too hot for too long it's just a test firing to see how it performs, not how hot it'll get.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree with Dodge, wider is more useful than taller unless you have something specific needing taller. Of course it'd be really easy to just lay your forge on its side and have two advantages. A lot of guys swear by a horizontal burner orientation though I don't see many here.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking the same thing after I posted :)

But if it's on its side wouldn't the flame be a lot closer to/hitting right on the work, whereas from above the heat has a farther distance to even itself out? or is that not as much of a problem as other articles have implied?

Though test firing it might be a simple way to find all that out

Firing straight down it's going to hit the floor and anything sitting on it. Firing across there will be a gap between the flame ad the floor till it's a ways across. Doesn't matter really the flame is going to get on everything in the forge. Remember you have about 2x the burner you need for that chamber, it's all going to get flamed.

Frosty The Lucky.