I Forge Iron

New member, new forge

schmism

I've dabbled in blacksmithing as a hobby for years. Ive been a member of IVBA for several years now.

Finnally got the forge I was looking for. Its been 2 years on CL to find one close to me.

Picked up a champion #400 blower and a post vise also.

DSC05336%20(Small).JPGDSC05338%20(Small).JPGDSC05339%20(Small).JPGDSC05341%20(Small).JPGDSC05342%20(Small).JPG

how does the cover for the blower come off. obviously you take the 2 screws out by the blower, then what?

Welcome aboard glad to have you. If you put your general locatin in your header you might be pleased at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Does it turn? If it does I wouldn't open it more than necesary to hose it out with a pressure washer. Oil it up and it should be good to go. Usually they're just full of junk, mouse, hornet, ?  nests, dirt, gravel, etc. and just need to be cleaned out. If you don't force movement it's unlikely to be damaged, the things were made tough.

Frosty The Lucky.

Does it turn? If it does I wouldn't open it more than necesary to hose it out with a pressure washer. Oil it up and it should be good to go.

Yes it turns nicely. doesnt feel to be missing any teeth. fairly smooth but still want to open the cover and clean it out and oil it up.

From other pics of them they have a large tapered flat head screw that acts as a dovetail? so the cover slides off away from the blower?

Oh and how do you tell the name of the forge? champion? I dont find anything cast into it. Ive used this exact kind of forge before and really liked it. Plus i wanted something larger than just a small rivet forge.

To remove the cover from a Champion blower remove the two screws from the cover nearest the fan. Tap lightly an the cover will slide back away from the fan and come off. Wash out with a slovent like kerosene or Stoddard Solvent, A few drops of oil are all that is needed. The bearings all have grease cups which I fill with autoparts store white grease. Two of the grease cups have holes and usulally have a leather seal to keep some of the dirt out ... they are on the shaft behind the crank and the fan end of the worm gear shaft. If the blower turns smmothly I would not bother adding grease to the fan end cup. A little extra oil on the gears will keep the fan bearing happy.

I like chainsaw bar oil with a little Duralube mixed in. It's sticky but doesn't get hard in cold weather. Duralube is a motor oil additive that has a really high film strength but is extra slippery. I discovered it after deciding the TV commercial was a can't hurt, might help situation and add it to bar oil. You have to eep adjusting the chainsaw's bar as it heats from friction up in use sone of a GUN it didn't warm up enough to need adjusting so now I use the stuff for darned near everything where friction heating is a factor. My LG loves the stuff and I don't oil it enough for it to drip at all and it runs smooth and easy. My champ 400 LOVES a little squirt from my oil can.

A1/4 cup Duralube per gallon of Oregon or Stihl bar oil is almost overkill and lasts me a couple years.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys, I got the cover off. There was some residual grease in the bottom around the worm screw but the other end was collecting flakes of rust from the top.

It will get rinsed out and some new lube. 00 grease is what is common in gear housings for brush hogs. its roughly a 50/50 mix of standard axle grease and 10w30 motor oil. Lubricates like oil, but sticks like grease, kinda a best of both worlds. I plan on putting a few tablespoons of it in the housing and then drip oil through the top as needed (as I've read)

The clinker trap, it rotates freely but i think the lever with the weighted ball is bent incorrectly. It does not seem to "hang" with the trap in the vertical position. It should yes?