I Forge Iron

Hi, I know that there are tons of these on this site, but none of them really meet my needs. I live in Florida, not in the country at all, and i need an anvil. I can't afford an actual anvil, as I'm only 16 and on a tight budget, nor can i get rail road track, because like I already said i don't live near railroads or rural areas at all. I've heard about the forklift tine idea but I don't really know where i would find one in my area. sorry if there is already something extremely similar to this but the forum is massive and i couldn't find anyone in the same situation as myself. 

Thanks, Ben

You've got to have a scrap yard somewhere near your home.  Call them, they're gonna have some thing that will function.   I'm building a forklift tine anvil and have a RR track anvil I built.  The latter served me well for years (and still does) although I did finally get my hands on a Fisher wich for neigborhoods are best for noise.

Welcome aboard Ben, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be pleasantly surprised to discover how many of the gang here live within visiting distance.

Almost anything with good weight will work as an anvil. Something steel is preferred though so keep your eyes open for such things as 4"+ shafting, large axles, train couplers, dounter weights, etc. Almost anything in the 75+lb. range will do till you find something better. Heck, thousands of years were served by large smooth boulder anvils.

You'd be surprised at how many folk have a chunk of RR rail laying about. Of course there's always the TPAAT, just tell everybody you know or meet you're looking for an anvil and I mean EVERYBODY. It works better than a person would believe without having experienced the phenomena personally.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ben, Don't despair, there is always rocks, oops, I forgot that Florida isn't known for having many of those either. As mentioned check out scrap yards, there you should be able to find a large lump of steel. Some of the best smiths in the world live in what are denoted as Third World Countries, that just means they are so poor that they don't count amongst the richest or most industrialized so they don't have an abundance of London pattern anvils either and use just about any big piece of steel for an anvil or, gasp, a rock. Things like truck axles, forklift tines, steel drops, just as long as it has some mass to it will work. The first place to look is in the online yellow page, or heck even the paper version, and look for scrap metal dealers. Perhaps at one of them you can find that which you seek.

Ben, Don't despair, there is always rocks, oops, I forgot that Florida isn't known for having many of those either. As mentioned check out scrap yards, there you should be able to find a large lump of steel. Some of the best smiths in the world live in what are denoted as Third World Countries, that just means they are so poor that they don't count amongst the richest or most industrialized so they don't have an abundance of London pattern anvils either and use just about any big piece of steel for an anvil or, gasp, a rock. Things like truck axles, forklift tines, steel drops, just as long as it has some mass to it will work. The first place to look is in the online yellow page, or heck even the paper version, and look for scrap metal dealers. Perhaps at one of them you can find that which you seek.

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I'm in the tampa area if it means anything, and I'm dyin to get some RR track, but nothing has turned up yet. Ill keep searching

Good try Ben. Now click on your profile, then click on "edit profile" and put your general location in your profile where it calls for it. It'll show up in your header and we'll stop bugging you about it. Well. . .  I will. <grin>

Don't take that like I'm being critical, I'm trying to lighten the mood some while poking you a bit and trying to get you results more quickly. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.