I Forge Iron

Aspiring blacksmith in Mid-Michigan

Enoch

Hi. I don't really know anything about blacksmithing, but I've wanted to get into it for a while.  I've got a makeshift forge, a slab of metal I'm using as an anvil, a hammer, and sort-of tongs.  Are there any experienced blacksmiths in the Mid-Michigan area that could teach me the ropes?

Welcome aboard glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header we won't have to keep asking and you'll discover there are LOTS of IFI guys within visiting distance. Join the local smithing group. go to the IFI home page, scroll to the bottom where the club pages are and get in touch with the guys.

There is a world of information here on IFI, more than a normal human needs but it's great reading. Then there are all us guys who like to yak on about stuff like answering questions. We generally love answering good questions even if we have to make stuff up.

Enjoy the ride.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Enock,

So you want to get into blacksmithing...  Good for you....  We have a great group in Michigan that will provide you with all the help you will ever need...  Log on to www.miblacksmith.org and join...  Read about the upcoming evens ... We have s great beginners event in may that sound just right for you...  I have a shop near Cadillac and you are always welcome....  

Glad to have you on board        Jim

Hi Enoch, Welcome! Jim Coke (above) has good advise here, MABA is very helpful and well worth joining,also the Woldumar Nature Center has a blacksmith group. If you need info on either of these,  PM me. I'm not on here every day, but I try and keep up. Again welcome!

• 3 weeks later...