I Forge Iron

post-23205-0-99423300-1366740112_thumb.jFinished our rotary tumbler. Works very well and should save a lot of time in the future. Thanks to Larry at Monster Metal, and Steve at Incandescent Iron Works for their suggestions. You can see some notes added to the pictures in my gallery. Basic information is; "48X"20, 60 RPM, Rolled "3/16 drum, Plasma cut end parts with pilots to accept machined "3 DOM axles

post-23205-0-87568900-1366740113_thumb.j

post-23205-0-15955500-1366740115_thumb.j

post-23205-0-99502700-1366740115_thumb.j

post-23205-0-72452400-1366740116_thumb.j

post-23205-0-54110700-1366740117_thumb.j

Good looking build, I didn't take near as much trouble with mine. The major difference I think most folk would appreciate is I painted the inside with pickup bed liner, I got a gallon at a garage sale for cheap. What it does is quiet it down considerably and it really helps keep the old 55gl drum I used from wearing right out.

Tumblers are a great addition to a shop, I heartily recommend them.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty,

How long has the bed liner goo been in your machine? If it lastsw at all that would be worth a try. The thing is so loud you can hear is running in my very well insulated shop from inside my house 200 feet away. I'm guessing 120 db or so. You can't be in the shop at all without ear muffs on, it would kill you. 

Yeah, steal drum tumblers are brutally loud unless packed full. I dont use my tumbler often but the bed liner has been fine for a good 10+ years now. You can quiet a tumbler quite a bit by gluing felt to the outside.

My tumbler is a 55gl drum with a clamp on lid. It rolls on a barrel stand on casters. The motor is on a hinged board underneath and the belt simply loops over the barrel as the final connection. It turns about 35rpm and is only annoying, not injurious. Everything was salvaged so it's pretty economical, the most expensive things being the long belt and can of (garage sale) bed liner.

Frosty the Lucky.

Nice job! Very clean work. I know someone has already asked but how fast does it turn. In your gallery comments you said it takes 2 to 3 hours to clean the sample parts you had shown. Mine will do those  in 30 min. Speed helps.

• 5 weeks later...

I am developing a large tumbler without welding or machining. The barrell is a black pickle barrel with screw lid. For the liner, I shall use treads of automobile tires that have the inner diameter of the barrel (23 inches). Turned inside out, the treads pop into place inside the barrell. I remove the side walls of the tires with a utility knife. I am hoping that there will low noise.