I Forge Iron

tongs

Larry H

They really start with a whole lot more material at there tong end. Looks like a fair bit of upsetting would have been required.

But hey are they strong or what. Love the little tong arm clamp thing, not too sure id have that much trust in it though

Hey Larry,

What is that extra flair behind the joint boss for that you see on almost all new farrier tongs. It seems like the answer would be for strength,but with the reduction in cross section just in front of it and behind the boss,I don't see an advantage. Is there any or is it just style or a fad ?

I think they start out with a blank that has the riegn either turned or drawn down so they are not doing that step by hand. (no upsetting on this project) The divet behind the boss is I think a type of design from using the double fuller method of issolating the boss only this was not how these tongs were divided, so then it becomes only a style, in these competions style can be really important.

It is my recalling that 'Champion' originally made farrier tongs in that style with the flair and it caught on! (might just be my fuzzy imagination however ;) )
Ask a farrier what they can be used for! I could imagine they would be good for flicking shoes around the anvil...

Alec

The competitors are supplied with the blanks which have the reins piece bar welded to a bigger piece of bar for the jaw/hinge area

These tongs are used to fit the shoes to the hoof,

For holding the bar when forging the shoe to shape, then the jaws are usually rounded as opposed to being rectangular, and they have a depression in the inside of the jaw to allow the tongs to grip and hold (no high spot that allows piece to swivel in hold position)

They also come in various sizes (opening) depending on shoe stock being used.