I Forge Iron

Two new pieces

I've been side tracked with a syatic nerve problem so haven't done much for a while.  Got back in the shop a couple of weeks ago and here are some pics of my latest.  One is a prehistoric sea creature called a trilobite.  Fossels are quite common and I thought it would make a cool piece.  It is made out of 1 1/2 bar and some 1/4in plate the body plates are some 1/8 in die slugs I got from work.  The next piece is a scorpion.  It is made from 1 3/4 bar for the main body  3/4 bar for the arms and claws.  The legs are 1/4 and 3/8 rod.

post-9934-0-20992900-1365973300_thumb.jp

post-9934-0-84164100-1365973333_thumb.jp

post-9934-0-95582200-1365973368_thumb.jp

post-9934-0-02149500-1365973396_thumb.jp

post-9934-0-47310300-1365973429_thumb.jp

post-9934-0-86480500-1365973460_thumb.jp

Oh WICKED COOL! I love trilobites and that's a dandy representation. The scorpion is a menacing masterwork. What's the OA size?

Have you seen the book "Wonderful Life" about the fossils found in the Burgess Shale? The Burgess quarries have some truly weird early Cambrian critters. Lots of inspiration for this kind of sculpture to be found there.

You've really got my imagination working thank you.

Frosty the Lucky.

Yes I'm familar with the book and the creatures of the Burgess Shale.  I took a history of life class at the University of Nebraska and the book was a large part of that class.  I have been interested in fossels since I was a kid.  I down loaded a bunch of pictures of diffrent trilobites and may make a few more they are very cool and I think lend themselfs to being reproduced in steel. The scorpion idea came from a guy I showed the trilobite to.  He asked if I could make a scorpion so this is what I came up with.  Now I have to see what he'll pay for it.  I think about 6 hours in the trilobite and 8 in the scorpion.

Yes I'm familar with the book and the creatures of the Burgess Shale.  I took a history of life class at the University of Nebraska and the book was a large part of that class.  I have been interested in fossels since I was a kid.  I down loaded a bunch of pictures of diffrent trilobites and may make a few more they are very cool and I think lend themselfs to being reproduced in steel. The scorpion idea came from a guy I showed the trilobite to.  He asked if I could make a scorpion so this is what I came up with.  Now I have to see what he'll pay for it.  I think about 6 hours in the trilobite and 8 in the scorpion.

Dad was a rockhound so we had all kinds of interesting things around. His thing was petrified woods but didn't limit himself. I don't know what happened to his fossil collection, I have some of his coprolites but there was a LOT disappear when he passed. <sigh>

I'm sure you're aware Australia has a very good fossil history including living Stromatolites, identical to those that oxidized earth some 3.5 billion years ago. From what I understand they have a lot of fossils contemporary with the Burgess, some really sweet Anomolocaris.

Gonna make us an Anomolocaris?

Yeah, me too, I've been a fossil nut long as I can remember. Somewhere in the boxes and boxes of books in the basement I have a copy called, "Trilobite" by ? It has so many tastey pics and drawings of trilobites it's a gem itself. I sure wish I knew where it is, I'd be . . . There now.  <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.