I Forge Iron

new to me hammer looking for an ID

I just picked up a helve hammer this weekend and I am looking for a ID on  it.

I have been looking everywhere I can online and I cant find anything on it as there are no MFG marks anywhere on it.

newhammer.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any help would be great as I would like to come up with some kind of history on this hammer as I am trying to get it going.

Thanks

justin

Sorry about not responding sooner

Macbruce- I am in central Ohio

jeremy k & tommy traylor - thanks for the info i now have something to base my search on

now I just have to get the foundation poured for it and get it powered up.

Everything seems to move freely the rubbers are in decent shapeI just need to get the motor hooked up and get a flat belt drive pulley for it and we are in buisness.

anyone know where a flat belt pulley for an electric motor can be bought from

I've heard of these sources but never used either:

http://hitnmiss.com/25a.html#pulley

http://www.paperpulleys.com/

And of course there is always ebay.

If you need belting and can use the composite rubber belting Tractor Supply stores are clearancing out their "by the foot" rubber baler belting.  According to my local store the reason for the clearance sale is that they are going to pre-cut lengths only.

Greetings Justin,

You best figure out the rpm and hp of the motor you are going to use....  I have an old Hawkeye that is a lawn ornament now that I was going to run in my line shaft shop for show and tell...  To dangerous for the kids and folks so I aborted...  Typically these old fellows ran of a line shaft that only ran about 250 rpms...  I suggest you get ahold of Tom from above he says he has one on the line....   If you must use a small diameter pulley on your motor I suggest you use a paper drive off the pto from older tractors ...   ( International )

Keep it thumpin....  Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Justin,

I think you will  find 5hp is fine BUTTTT..   A 2in flat belt drive pulley 3in wide will slip under power....   I suggest you set up a jack shaft style set up..  ( surface area of the belt contact )

Good Luck

Jim

The machine has a 5" wide flat belt pulley and is set up to run off a line shaft with a slack belt and tensioner so it is intended to have some slippage.

Are you saying it would have  to much slippage?

I was planning on setting the motor up overhead in the rafters and running the belt down to the hammer I was hoping to avoid the jack shaft setup if possible but if not I guess I will use one.

Greetings Justin,

I feel the amount of belt surface area on a 2in pulley is not enough for initial start of the hammer .   Ever wonder why many heavy load machines have multiple belts and larger drive pulleys...  I think you would loose a lot of control on start up and overall control..   I have a line shaft shop and have made that mistake..  It takes a lot of energy to get things moving...  More than likely what would happen is you would push the tension pedal hard attempting to get started and the hammer would go faster than you wanted...  I have a lot of pulleys and have never seen a 2in 5in wide drive pulley with a 3/4 shaft size..  I hope this helps .  Maybe others will tune in with advice...

Good luck

Jim

Greetings again Justin,

I don't think a lot of people understand that the only control that you have over your hammer is the tension on the idler...  You have no clutch like LG or  others...   Now we get down to what I would do...  See that you said you can mount it overhead....   I would mount your motor to twin belt reducing v pulleys on a jack shaft with at least a 100 pound flywheel and than to at least a 8 inch final drive pulley to your hammer...  You can figure the ratios.. The reason I would do it that way is to have inertia for initial starts and overall control... Old time line shafts have many pulleys on the shaft and have the inertia required...  That's just my way to skin this cat..  Let me know your progress...  

I wish you well

Jim

• 2 weeks later...