I Forge Iron

Just getting started in Hamilton, Ontario

So I have a couple question I hope it's okay that I'm not a member yet mostly because I just found out about this Organization when I signed up for this forum.  :D

Anyway does anyone know of a scrapyard in Hamilton that sells to the general public? I looked at Kenny u pull and that seems to only be cars and while I'm okay with that idea I was kind of looking for something with a little more range of steel I could pick over and I'm not entirely sure how to remove a leaf spring from a car and how you leave the car after your done. Because removing the suspension from a car strikes me as a fairly complicated procedure at least involving a jack stand. While I am willing to make some sacrifice I want to keep my jack stands. They aren't cheap.  

I also noted that the price of a used brake drum is pretty much the same as a new one from amazon.ca granted without shipping which pretty much covers the time I would spend driving down there to get the part. 

I have contacted a couple other places and they are telling me they don't sell to the general public. So any ideas would be helpful.   

I'm not to sure where to get the materials for a makeshift anvil from a car without a cutting torch don't own one as yet and considering my $80 a month limit for setting up the forge and tools it's going to take a bit. Before I get to the point of owning a cutting torch and I really doubt anyone is going to let me cut up a drive shaft without buying the whole thing. If that would even work lol.

I had considered a makeshift anvil from a railroad rail but so far they seem to only be in places that would cost WAY to much money to ship from. I'm getting down to just buying a sledge hammer and using it as a stake anvil or getting one from old world anvils but again the shipping is a little bit ouchie.

Thanks in advance  

Good luck on the scrapyard thing.   With the steel mills in town they will not sell to the public.  Auto wreckers you will be paying car parts prices. 

I would buy the biggest chunk of mild steel you can afford as a makeshift anvil.  2 places that have "secondary"  (sitting outside maybe used at some point maybe drops no guarantee about alloy)  are Beach Road Steel.  and Glandford Iron.  Glandford is often a little cheaper although not always.  But is a bit of a drive and service is SLOW.  As well if you are buying new steel they charge you to cut it in half to 10' pieces where Beach rd will cut it in half for free,  and you can buy a 10' piece for half the price of a 20'.  Beach rd is open till noon on Saturdays Glandford till 3:00.

The other option  for a heavy block of Steel is True cut steel.  You will have to call them with the size you want them to cut out of plate and a couple of days later they will have it cut for you.  I have found they can actually be as cheap as buyiing secondary,. and because it is exactly the size you want it can actually be cheaper.  Look up Brian Brazeal anvil on here.  You will need to buy a grinder to clean up the edge but you will need the grinder anyways.

If you want a brake drum you would be further ahead to go to car repair shops.  They will be selling them to scrapyards dirt cheap or even letting scrap guys pick them up for free.  So are far more likely to sell you drums for a reasonable price. 

There is an OABA meeting at Sandra Dunn and Steven White's shop next weekend.  It would be well worth your while to go.  As well feel free to stop by my shop to have a look around.  Best bet is to call ahead as I can be in and out. 

I had a heck of a time finding an anvil when I was getting started, and as you've found, there isn't much in the way of scrap yards selling to the public in southern Ontario.

My first improvised anvil was an 18" length of 175 Lb crane rail (which is far different than railroad track - the crane rail having a 'web' section that's over 2" thick).

The crane rail was new, straight from the manufacturer. They have a work yard in Smithville where you can get smaller pieces. I think it was $1 / Lb, plus a small fee for cutting it.

My piece of rail was over 80 lbs .... And I have to say, I did a ton of work on it. Size wise, there isn't much difference between it and my 100 Lb Brooks anvil.

Cheers,
Neil

Good luck on the scrapyard thing.   With the steel mills in town they will not sell to the public.  Auto wreckers you will be paying car parts prices. 

I would buy the biggest chunk of mild steel you can afford as a makeshift anvil.  2 places that have "secondary"  (sitting outside maybe used at some point maybe drops no guarantee about alloy)  are Beach Road Steel.  and Glandford Iron.  Glandford is often a little cheaper although not always.  But is a bit of a drive and service is SLOW.  As well if you are buying new steel they charge you to cut it in half to 10' pieces where Beach rd will cut it in half for free,  and you can buy a 10' piece for half the price of a 20'.  Beach rd is open till noon on Saturdays Glandford till 3:00.

The other option  for a heavy block of Steel is True cut steel.  You will have to call them with the size you want them to cut out of plate and a couple of days later they will have it cut for you.  I have found they can actually be as cheap as buyiing secondary,. and because it is exactly the size you want it can actually be cheaper.  Look up Brian Brazeal anvil on here.  You will need to buy a grinder to clean up the edge but you will need the grinder anyways.

If you want a brake drum you would be further ahead to go to car repair shops.  They will be selling them to scrapyards dirt cheap or even letting scrap guys pick them up for free.  So are far more likely to sell you drums for a reasonable price. 

There is an OABA meeting at Sandra Dunn and Steven White's shop next weekend.  It would be well worth your while to go.  As well feel free to stop by my shop to have a look around.  Best bet is to call ahead as I can be in and out. 

Thanks alot for the names of places that will help I will admit that has been the biggest issue finding a place that sells steal. Didn't think it would be that big of an issue in Hamilton of all places.

Actually I was going between a grinder or getting the brake drum forge parts together for my next purchase I asked for a grinder for my birthday. Maybe I will just work on making a forge out of dirt in the back yard. Wife wanted a firepit anyway. Or maybe see about the grill. That one I'll have to sneak though it's old but everyonce in awhile the family wants me to burn some meat for them. It's a little rusted but a hack saw could remove the bottom of the legs that are giving me concern. Also my car needs some work might be a good time to hit up the owner of my local shop while I'm in getting a couple of things done. Lol that seems a little wrong but meh I'll be in the shop why not ask.

I wish I was free next weekend, unfortunatly I work nights and my "weekend" is Monday, Tuesday.

I would love to swing by your shop sometime I haven't been in metal shop since highschool. Double credit for 4 years got out started appling for jobs but alas no CNC experience so no job. Alas the wonder of our modern education system.Unfortunatly I'm going to be busy for the next little while looking for work. I took a job in desperation a year and half ago, I'm out of the house for sixty hours between driving and work. After you count in the cost of driving I'm getting paid for 20 hours. So the wife would be a little angry if I went wondering off on a hobby trip before that is settled. Once I get that settled I'll give you a shout.

I had a heck of a time finding an anvil when I was getting started, and as you've found, there isn't much in the way of scrap yards selling to the public in southern Ontario.

My first improvised anvil was an 18" length of 175 Lb crane rail (which is far different than railroad track - the crane rail having a 'web' section that's over 2" thick).

The crane rail was new, straight from the manufacturer. They have a work yard in Smithville where you can get smaller pieces. I think it was $1 / Lb, plus a small fee for cutting it.

My piece of rail was over 80 lbs .... And I have to say, I did a ton of work on it. Size wise, there isn't much difference between it and my 100 Lb Brooks anvil.

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks for the Location as well I actually have an area I hunt near there maybe after small game season opens up again I can swing by both places at the same time now that sounds like a good day. :D

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Compboy,

in Hamilton too.

Have you got a forge setup yet? As I have been smithing using friends forges and seasonally at the maple sugar shack, I am just getting around to building two portable forges, one from a brake drum, and a larger one from a wheel rim (plus refractory brick). I work at an auto dealer so no problem getting those. I can watch for larger brake drum and/or rim if you want. I want to get one stand fabricated that will support both of those. Have a Bufco blower bought from a friend.

About 10 years ago, I walked around a large scrap yard in Brantford. I recall it was called Brant County Metals, or something to that effect. Didn't find it in a quick online search. They had everything from surplus metal stock to huge cast iron machinery.

Rob