I Forge Iron

An Ugly Duck

antigoth24

Now I know that some people will like this knife and some may even say it's pretty, but I just hate I hate it I hate it! Marsha, Marsha, Marsha! Seriously though this one has been kicking around the shop for a few months  and needed a handle so I put one on but I'm not happy with it. I think that a knife should have good flow and to me this one just doesn't. But I like it more now then a few minutes ago blink.png  Anyway the knife isn't done this is just after I got the handle assembled so bear with me on the roughness. The handle is zircote and red mallee figured burl with leather and copper pin. The blade is 250 layers of 15N20 and 1095. I'm considering shortening the handle quite a bit what do you think?

IMG_6858_zpsb5e8e1a9.jpg

It's a beautiful knife, and you've obviously worked hard, but I can see what you mean about the flow.  It just looks like the blade is at an odd angle to the hilt.  I would say to leave the handle the way you have it, though.  Unless it is for personal use, or you dislike it enough to not sell it, I'm sure someone will be very pleased with it. 

I can see why you object... I think simply that that handle dwarfs the blade considerably. It just ,as you said,doesn't flow proportionately. In my humble opinion,I think knives look best when the hilt profile is the same size or smaller than the blade itself. So i like your idea of shortening the handle.... maybe thinning it width wise as well. It would also seem to me that instead of an upwards angled hadnle,one with a downwards curve would better accentuate the lovely little blade :)  But again,only my opinion.