I Forge Iron

So, I got an idea on how to make arrowheads really fast and easy, but I'm not sure if it will work, so I'm asking here.

Would it work, to take a small pipe, let's say 10mm inner diameter, something around 1mm thick, and flatten out some part of it and then either hammer the point in or do it with a grinder or bolt cutters and then leaving something about 2-3 cm left for a seat, making the whole head around  6-7 cm long, then cutting a small slot into the shaft, then sanding about 5mm of it down a bit, to make a small cone, that way it will compress a bit when put into the seat, i'll take some pics if you ask me to

so, please let me know if you have heard of this method, or even tried it yourself, i would really like to know if this works 

I most likely not really get your method, But if your tip is simply going to be a bit of squashed pipe, not welder or anything I hope you do not intent on using it for long.

I think if i understand what your doing correctly, will have an ok socket, may take more time to make then doing it the normal way.

But I think your tip will lack material and not go very well.

Just punch out the heads from a bit of 6 or 10mm rod, you will get fast at it after a few.

If you want quick and dirty, use a welder to put a head on a socket

It's an interesting idea. In reading your description ,there are a few issues that you may have to deal with if you try this method. First is the fact that you're making it out of pipe. Metal pipe is generally rather nasty material to work with in a situation where you want a point or an edge.You can compare it to rebar,it just isn't very high quality usually and has very little carbon content..  If you pound it out cold,it will be an utter failure,because the two sides that have been hammered together will split when you try and put a point on it. In order to be succesful,you'd need to forge-weld the pipe together on the end. 

Even if you can succesfully forge weld the blade portion of the arrow head into a solid piece,it's still the same steel. It won't harden or temper, so if the arrow strikes a target at a bad angle,the head will assuredly bend. I like your creative thinking, though. if you think you'd like to give it a try, you will most definately learn from the experience :)

PS. Be careful what kind of pipe you use. Some pipes (like galvanized) have coatings on the steel that will produce toxic gases if you heat them up.

Truth is, almost any iron/steel object has been turned into arrowheads at one time or another, especially in the American west. A piece of iron/steel pipe will surely make an arrowhead or two but if I were in such a situation I'd steal an old shovel blade. Shovels are pretty high quality medium carbon steel and tough as can be. They'll take and hold a decent edge.

I can't render an opinion on the technique you write about, I don't get a clear enough mental picture of the process. heck, it may even be the way I'd do it but I can't tell.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

@ dabbsterinn

I know what you mean, last summer, I have seen an blacksmith forging this way some spearheads.

But he forge welded in a piece of a round steelbar (half of length) to form a strong tip.

Peter

"there are many roads to walk to Rome" :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I say use the pipe but weld or forge weld a bit in to it say a chunk form and old shovel it would be fast .cut parts with grinder or the like and your socket is all ready done . I did that type of thing for some spear heads but used old chevy spring  for the pointy bits . worked well looked like hell . see if I can dig one up may be one in my shop stuff ends up there to die .