I Forge Iron

Using a Carbon Arc Torch for Brazing and Heating

Back in the day :D  I had one of those rigs(OE) and if I remember correctly it was junked because you could no longer get the carbon filled copper tubes i think they were quater ". my cost on O/A has dropped dramatically since I switched to O/LPG change to a "split-tip" and "bob's your uncle" Thanks for posting this.

Ian

Talk about old school! MR. H. my high school metal shop teacher would talk about this kind of arc welding/brazing/etc. but wouldn't hook up the torch as it too obsolete in the mid-late 60's to put on a resume.

Looks like fun and I may give it a shot. If it damages inverter welders don't DO it if that's what you have! I don't know why it would, I don't see this as more of a direct short than any other arc welding technique, seriously what is the arc but a direct short? My Lincoln Ranger 9  won't care how you short the stinger and ground, all it'd do is load the engine a little and hum on, like normal.

Making your own carbon arc welding handle looks easy enough Dcraven, but rather than using elec tape or PVC, both are temp sensitive, PVC goes soft at less than 300f. Use automotive heater hose, it's designed to survive close to the exhaust manifolds and stinks when scorching so it'll warn you before it starts burning.

Another tip for you guys videoing arc welding in action. How about videoing through a speed lense so we can actually see the action? Watching an arc washed out video is less than educational.

I'm thinking this technique will be the BOMB for spot heating things like rivets. they'd be hot set before a guy could get a gas torch adjusted, let alone heating in a forge.

A good technique to add to the shop tool kit, thank you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Back in the day :D  I had one of those rigs(OE) and if I remember correctly it was junked because you could no longer get the carbon filled copper tubes i think they were quater ". my cost on O/A has dropped dramatically since I switched to O/LPG change to a "split-tip" and "bob's your uncle" Thanks for posting this.

Ian

The coppered carbon rods are pretty easy to get on this side of the planet. HOWEVER being a TBI survivor I need a little help with the, "bob's your uncle," line Ian.

Frosty The Lucky.

What I found when using it with my inverter is the rods burn unevenly, which makes sense whereas when the current is alternating they don't.

Most of the time the one I made just hangs on the wall, but the idea of using it for rivets or when you need to heat something w/o cranking up the forge is a good one, if I can just remember to do so.

Sorry Folks, the expression means "all good to go" or "everything is satisfactory"etc.etc.

"TBI"? ...The...Birch...Incedent B) ?

Ian

Got it, I'm good to go on that expresssion.

Conventionally TBI stands for "Traumatic Brain Injury." However it COULD stand for all kinds of things like maybe, (That Blasted Ian!) I could get Deb to take a picture of (The Birch Indentations.) in my head.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 years later...

Yes, this post is 2 1/2 years old.  But in the event someone is curious about carbon arc and does a Search, he likely will end up here. So le me offer this as a place to start. I posted it on Wiki Answers to help a few guys who were talking about building their own torches a few years ago:

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_Carbon_arc_welding&isLookUp=1