I Forge Iron

Unknown forge

KENL

I picked up this Champion Forge today. I have not seen one like this before. I was wondering if anyone could share some information on it. It appears to be a portable forge of some type. It is fairly small 26" tall and the cast iron pan is 12 - 16 - 21/2 inches deep. The three legs slip into the socket on the bottom of the. Pan and are held in place with removable pins that are secured with a small chain so you wont lose them. The large gear drives a small gear that turns a iron wheel with a tapered edge that mates to a adjustable pulley that drives the blower. Hope that makes sense. I mainly picked it up out being curious as to what it was used for. Thanks for info you might have.

post-8610-0-40158200-1363823071_thumb.jp

post-8610-0-82533000-1363823138_thumb.jp

post-8610-0-39873500-1363823196_thumb.jp

Greetings Kenl

What you have is a military forge.... It was made to take along for easy storage...  I have had 2 of them and found them a pain...  They are hard to use because of the way the blower drives and gear set up..  They girnd they snap and don't blow much air....   Now days it more of a collectors forge...  Your could remove the blower  and fab it up for a stand alone blower...   Best to sell it ..   I swaped one of mine for a 3 foot cone anvil...

Good luck     Jim

It could be used for rivets, or shoes, or hammers.....:)

Mr Jim we need to talk, I am looking for a military forge made by Empire Forge Co.

Mr Kenl that is a great forge! I have done a lot of research on this type of forge and you have the best looking one I have seen yet. Any grinding or slipping will be caused by wear or other alignment problems. You seem to have an all original piece there and looks like no broken teeth or anything so it should work fine for you. Congratulations on your find.
Chuck

Greetings Ken / Chuck

I have always known this Champion forge as to be a millitary unit... I dont know the year or when it was made.  I think why I disliked them the most is that they are very short and you have to bend over to crank them... The gearing and blower operation does not build inertia...   No flywheel...    I have never seen to my knowlege a Empire forge ... Buffalo made a millitary of sheet metal with every thing in a box..  I had one and I know where one is for sale...

Thats what I got,

Jim

Pictures of a Empire might refresh the old boys memory

Looks like one I had, but no one ever mentioned it being military. 
It was a nice little forge, but very shallow. I liked the way it came out after i restored it, but sold it to buy a bigger one. (Still kind of miss it though!)

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/22978-small-champion-forge-questions-now-for-sale/?hl=+champion%20+forge

Ok, I unfortunately don't have a Champion catalog. I hand placed this forge as a very early model 1875 to 1885 or there about. It is hard to imagine it being around after the introduction of the Champion 400. Makes me wonder how long the production ran.

Mr Jim this is the only picture of the Empire I have. I hope you can enlarge it. It was actually called Empire Forge Modified for Military Use.

post-24214-0-25227400-1364265256_thumb.j

Jim I don't have any plans on using it. Although it might make someone a nice small portable forge for doing shows. It's all there and seems to be in decent shape. I will probably take it apart and clean it up good and sell or trade for something I need.

• 2 months later...

Chuck, I've just come back to Iforge, mostly because I found this discussion on the Empire Forge here. Below posted some images I have from my own files of the Empire Forge. I don't have one but recently managed to purchase a Queen's Patent Portable Forge, pat 1845 in pretty good-but-not-usable shape. I'd followed up the Empire Forge information when seeing it advertised by the same retailer as the Queen's Forge. Lot of information on the Queen's Forge but trying to get more so this is just a start. Also have some nice images of different Army and Navy forges if anyone is interested.

Cap

post-41918-0-66931600-1370262544_thumb.j

post-41918-0-90809900-1370262565_thumb.j

post-41918-0-81809500-1370262728_thumb.j

when I was still in the Military it was a rear occasion to find one in an old Conex  from the Corps of Engineers and Maintenance Depot they would throw them out in scrap bins . I saved them many times for friends back then due to me not being able to forge at the time . I wish I had any one of them Now .

Sam