I Forge Iron

Vise ID?

plain ol Bill

Hi guys - had a customer drop in to pick up an item a couple of weeks ago and he noticed my vises in the shop. He mentioned he had one he got at a garage sale a long time ago but it didn't work well. I told him next time he headed this direction to put it in the truck and drop it off and I'd look at it. He brought it by yesterday and I would like to ID it for him. Jaws are 5 1/2" wide, both jaws have a 0 marked under the jaws and there are traces of orange paint on it. Screw and box are in good shape, jaws are great - parallel and even. Mounted to an old truck rim - I don't care for that but then it's not my vise either. No spring but that is easily fixed, so I  took it all down to clean, lube and get a spring into it by mounting a little table to the back of the fixed leg w/ a square U bolt to hold the spring in place.

Got any idea who made this vise and when?

post-433-0-29782500-1363809110_thumb.jpg

post-433-0-61430000-1363809121_thumb.jpg

post-433-0-64688600-1363809138_thumb.jpg

post-433-0-48394800-1363809168_thumb.jpg

IT'S a leg vise! The majority of this type of vise were never marked by their makers until the middle to end of the 19th century. It looks like it's in good shape, don't worry about it's heritage. Set it up and put it to work.

Thanks Frank - I knew about Just Plain Bill - but he wasn't old :) . My first thought was Columbian but thought I'd ask the forum too. I'd like to keep this one - but then I don't have room for another one. It will go to a new home and it will work well when he comes to pick it too.