I Forge Iron

Branding iron

Guest Johnnie

Guest Johnnie

Hi guys, a very good friend of mine is a wood worker and he has asked me to forge him a Squirrel branding iron aprox 2" high. Its his 'touchmark'

Anyone with ideas on how to go about this?

I thought about punching it into a steel plate but not sure it would be deep enough.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated

John. 

Over the past couple of years, I've been making a few branding irons.

Here are a few things that I've learned :

A simple, unambiguous image, is essential, ... fine details quickly fill up with carbon, and are lost anyway.

( In the case of a 2" squirrel, I would reccommenf a "solid" image, rather then an "outline" of the squirrel. )

The raised image needs to be deep enough, that the residual heat, stored in the support structure of the assembly, doesn't affect the brand.

( a half inch of relief would be a reasonable minimum, ... and a full inch, wouldn't be too much. )

In a perfect World, I'd want the customer to supply, or at least approve the image, ... and then have it cut out of 1/2" HRS, with a wire EDM.

If your World isn't perfect, ... you try to get as close to the "Ideal" as possible. ;)

A patient man, ... who didn't have to justify his time, ... could carefully saw and file out a shape, from any mild steel.

Guest Johnnie

Thanks guys.

I have a 130amp Plasma cutter which will be useful to get the main shape. Getting the relief deep enough is going to be tricky. 

Patients  I guess.

Thanks again.

Guest Johnnie

the other thing that is important is the image when you make it should be in reverse so when you burn the wood it is the right way, I have used 1/8"x 1/2" strap bent it to the shape and welded it to a plate after shaped. worked very well

That is most definitely the way forward I think. Google images here I come!