I Forge Iron

Pulling the trigger on a new anvil soon- advise needed

I have decided to purchase a new anvil and have narrowed down my search to 3 anvils which are all around the same price and wanted to gather some input on these 3 models and which one people would recommend.  The 3 anvils are the Refflinghaus #58 320lb , the Nimba Gladiator 450#, and the 460# Rathole.  

If you get a new anvil you know exactly what you are going to get. It hasn't been in a barn fire and been softened etc. You should also get a guarantee of some sort. There are considerable advantages, certainly. The only disadvantage is price but there are perfectly good anvils at not too steep a price. Written off over the life of the anvil the cost is very little.

Also depends what size you want.

The heavier the better.  Lighter anvils will generally have a narrower face which can come in handy, but you can make a hardy block for those same applications.

You can do everything you want on an anvil that weighs between 120 and 150 pounds.  Lighter anvils are nice to move around and heavier anvils are nice because they don't move around.  Of the three you mentioned, none are sub par.  Buy with confidence.