I Forge Iron

Is this too cheesy?

Nobody Special

So, tried my first split cross. I won't tell ya how long it took, but I didn't win any time trials, especially after my blower failed in the middle. I was going to make a celtic cross for St. Patrick's day, and kinda got carried away. Started life as a railroad spike, some solenoid wire and a marble (yes there's hard to see glass in the middle.) Chain is left over links from working about with mail.

What do ya think, too cheesy? :)

i agree - the wire is the only thing i might try taking off - the lovely hammer marks are covered up a bit by it, and as well as that, the straight ness and the way wire looks, is so different from the other marks. the cross and the links look good though, and the glass is a great thing to experiment with. do you need to keep the wire on? i dont think its at all cheesy :) its a good try at what your after, but all this stuff takes a few goes till your happy, you could try something slightly different next time, like no wire, different glass, and see how it looks. most important thing is that you like it !!

Your first cross is off to a good start. While the wire may be a bit much in the eyes of some, others may like it. Since you made it, it is up to you to determine if it is too cheesy or not but criticism from others is what makes us better at whatever we do. 

The more you make the better you will get and remember time is of no importance unless you are under a deadline. 

Personally, I would lose the wire. 

The way I like a cross is not one that has perfect lines. It was an old rugged cross that started it all.

Mark <><

Glass blowers work in an oxidizing flame, more air than blacksmiths usually use. (Too much air increases scale on the metal.) A typical blacksmithing fire is a reducing atmosphere, which can change the color of the glass. Something else to experiment with. :-)

Used a large glass bead, like a marble, color went away when it melted. Dunno what they used to color it. May have done better with a bit of green beer bottle glass. Was more in it too, but broke when I dunked it to crack the glass. Next one'll be better.

Do not dunk with glass in, glass needs tempering or it will crack, just allow finished work to cool down as for normalising and it should be OK.

I've fiddled around with green bottle glass a little.  Glass from wine bottles does hold its color pretty well after it melts.  I haven't tried beer bottle glass, but I can't imagine it would be too different.

Nice looking cross and necklace, btw.  I think I'm in the 'no-wire' camp.  You might try it with something 20 ga steel or aluminum wire, though.  To me it's the color that jumps out more than the form of having the wire on it, but that's just me.  :)