I Forge Iron

Tire Hammer Modification?

I have been toying with building a power hammer on and off for a couple years now, I am considering a small (25-30lb ram) tire hammer, but I found this video that seems like it would be a whole lot easier to build as I need to rent/buy a welder to build it. I would obviously build a better base, guide the ram better and make dies instead of using flat plates, but the drive seems muck simpler than a tire hammer. The one thing I can't wrap my head around is how to set up the spring in the linkage on these hammers?

Thanks
Josh

the gain is that i understand how this one works, i have never been able to understand the normal tire hammer because of all the different pictures of modifications people have made. I am going over all kinds of ideas for hammers, one being using a 10hp briggs and stratton motor i'v had laying around

To me the biggest disadvantage of a tire hammer is the designs requiring welding to the tire rim.

I think these guys have a decent enough idea, but as Will said, they have added extra mass, friction, slippage, and complexity.

Now, picture the design in the video with the tire directly on the shaft in the position that the flywheel is in.  You are driving directly from the tire clutch like with the standard tire hammer design while eliminating needing to weld on the rim.  Make sense?

I hear you about having a homebrewed hammer simple enough to understand.  That's why I went with a "Rusty"-style guided helve using a tire clutch.  :)

I have been toying with building a power hammer on and off for a couple years now, I am considering a small (25-30lb ram) tire hammer, but I found this video that seems like it would be a whole lot easier to build as I need to rent/buy a welder to build it. I would obviously build a better base, guide the ram better and make dies instead of using flat plates, but the drive seems muck simpler than a tire hammer. 

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hlgG98IG-E8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The one thing I can't wrap my head around is how to set up the spring in the linkage on these hammers?

Thanks

Josh

the gain is that i understand how this one works, i have never been able to understand the normal tire hammer because of all the different pictures of modifications people have made. I am going over all kinds of ideas for hammers, one being using a 10hp briggs and stratton motor i'v had laying around

First, it has a tire for the clutch so this IS a tire hammer. He has just made  a modification such as you wish to avoid. Other than speed reduction, I see no reason for it. He has just added more moving parts to the equation. More to wear out. Speed can be dictated by the size of tire used and the size of drive hub on the motor. Clay Spencer has a good SIMPLE design. Why reinvent the wheel?? As for how the spring and linkage works, that is just gravity and compression ( I never took physics so please don't crucify my nomenclature) As the tire goes round it forces the weight of the hammer down. That causes to linkage to  elongate forcing the compression on the spring. The spring decompresses on the up-stroke forcing the linkage back out and helps the hammer back up as the tire continues around and over the top. Think about an internal combustion engine and imagine the spring is the "spark"

First, it has a tire for the clutch so this IS a tire hammer. He has just made  a modification such as you wish to avoid. Other than speed reduction, I see no reason for it. He has just added more moving parts to the equation. More to wear out. Speed can be dictated by the size of tire used and the size of drive hub on the motor. Clay Spencer has a good SIMPLE design. Why reinvent the wheel?? As for how the spring and linkage works, that is just gravity and compression ( I never took physics so please don't crucify my nomenclature) As the tire goes round it forces the weight of the hammer down. That causes to linkage to  elongate forcing the compression on the spring. The spring decompresses on the up-stroke forcing the linkage back out and helps the hammer back up as the tire continues around and over the top. Think about an internal combustion engine and imagine the spring is the "spark"

Dodge when i finished reading that i was almost blinded by the light bulb that went off! thanks for explaining it, the internal combustion engine comparison made complete sense. OK i'm going with a regular tire hammer! will post pics as i gather materials.

Thanks

Josh

• 11 months later...

Hi , I am late on this . I have done modification on Clay Spencer tire hammer in way that I made it smaller . I am very pleased how it works no matter

it is 5 kilo ( 11 lbs )  hammer . I would not change design as it works great for what it is and that it is not factory made tool .

Here are pictures of it .

https://picasaweb.google.com/107901101139030898244/SmallTireHammer

Josh:
The hammer in the video has a linkage identical to a tire hammer. The parts are just sized differently.

The difference in this hammer is that the tire drive system is rigged differently. There is no reason to run a motor to a tire, a pulley off the tire, then a v-belt to another pulley, with a drive shaft to the ram.

The one modification that I do like, is that the tire is not directly attached to the head. If you run a drive shaft off the tire and attach the driveshaft to the ram, you eliminate having to weld a plate on the tire. This gives you easy access to the lug-nuts, if they need tightening.

If you put the tire where the large v-belt pulley is, and ran the drive shaft directly off the tire, that would be an improvement to the design, IMO.

Back to the spring a ram linkage though, any hammer that runs off this type of head, operates exactly the same.
It doesn't matter if it's a Little Giant, Star, Tire Hammer, or some other make. If it has the arms with a coil spring between, it operates the same, regardless of the proportion. Basically the spring provides tension so that when the arms extend and the ram hit's the dies, the ram is the pulled back upward by the spring tension, giving upward momentum to get the head back up and around for another blow.

Back to the spring a ram linkage though, any hammer that runs off this type of head, operates exactly the same.
It doesn't matter if it's a Little Giant, Star, Tire Hammer, or some other make. If it has the arms with a coil spring between, it operates the same, regardless of the proportion. Basically the spring provides tension so that when the arms extend and the ram hit's the dies, the ram is the pulled back upward by the spring tension, giving upward momentum to get the head back up and around for another blow.

The problem is that the spring and the arms need to be proportional to each other so as to get the correct "whip" motion from the head that is desirable. This is a fine line area and would require more typing than I could do to explain. There is some room for error, but that is hard to define as everyone's scrounging abilities of parts are different.

I have been toying with building a power hammer on and off for a couple years now, I am considering a small (25-30lb ram) tire hammer, but I found this video that seems like it would be a whole lot easier to build as I need to rent/buy a welder to build it. I would obviously build a better base, guide the ram better and make dies instead of using flat plates, but the drive seems muck simpler than a tire hammer. The one thing I can't wrap my head around is how to set up the spring in the linkage on these hammers?

Thanks
Josh

I know this is probably past tense (or have you built it yet?), but it appears in the video as the flat plates have been drilled for mounting dies. That is how I did mine. I think they were just testing the action during construction and before dies were mounted. Probably didn't want to beat them up

Josh:
The hammer in the video has a linkage identical to a tire hammer. The parts are just sized differently.

The difference in this hammer is that the tire drive system is rigged differently. There is no reason to run a motor to a tire, a pulley off the tire, then a v-belt to another pulley, with a drive shaft to the ram.

The one modification that I do like, is that the tire is not directly attached to the head. If you run a drive shaft off the tire and attach the driveshaft to the ram, you eliminate having to weld a plate on the tire. This gives you easy access to the lug-nuts, if they need tightening.

If you put the tire where the large v-belt pulley is, and ran the drive shaft directly off the tire, that would be an improvement to the design, IMO.

Pretty much what I said back in March of 13. Post #6