I Forge Iron

france and things found there in a question

Bigred1o1

Well I was talking Father a few days ago and he mentioned that he is planning on hitting some junk shops and the like while he and my mother are are over in France and if there was anything blacksmith related that he should keep an eye out for  for me

and before you say anvil it needs to be able to come back home on the plane

any thoughts o wise ones of IFI

Tell your father not to look for anything or tell you what he saw as it will only upset you  :o - there are some great treasures to be had.

Seriously though what interests you? French forging hammers, Axe heads?

You could get a French dictionary and log on to the French E-bay site to see the sort of stuff available over there and maybe get some ideas.

Wayne

the ebay idea is fantastic

i had been hoping he would come across a small stump anvil

in general i am more interested in blacksmiths tools that are usable but different that that what we have more commonly available to us in the states

and as i tend to make all my own handles i was thinking hammer heads and the like would not be to bulky

Try the postal rate route, I have bought small bick irons and other tools from the French E-bay as the item price and the shipping were a silly price which made the very affordable - I am not that popular with the local postie though, you can tell when he has some thing for me as he walks with a list .

Try the German and Dutch/Belgian E-bay as well for ideas.