I Forge Iron

Seax Design critique

S.Hollowood

I'd love any constructive criticism on this design i have created for my first larger project. I have done a lot of knives from the 3-7" range in blade length and i wanted to move up to something slightly larger. So i started doing research on different blades and i have a few in mind for the future if i can pull off something in the medium range perfectly. I chose the given dimension and materials as i have the materials all in hand. 

All of the metal fittings will be made from wrought iron, which i have not worked before, but i do have some class time, and a teacher i can refer to. Although information and helpful tips are welcome. The handle material will be made from walnut as i have plenty of that laying about and it should fit the rough forge look perfectly. 

When you refer to wraught iron, do you meen forged mild steal? Wraught is rare stuff.
Beautiful rendering, and a very pleasing design.
Remember that leaving hammer marks is a modern design element. And if its not intended as a desplay peice you might whant to mock up the kilt and see how the hand likes it.
I hope you post the finished product, it has the potential to be a beutiful peice.

Actually i mean real wrought iron complete with slag and silica. I am part of a local guild which fortunately has a pretty large selection of wrought iron. Story goes the wrought was pulled from a dock out in the Harpers Ferry area supposedly put up for the Civil war. Truth and completeness of this story......well who knows.  I plan on etching the wrought once everything is mocked together and fits. 

I don't plan on leaving hammer marks in the steel, but i do intend on leaving the pitting and discoloration on the steel from the scale and forge work if it turns out decently. 

Sounds like it will come together quite nicely. Leaving the pitting and discoloration will go well with the wrought iron hilt components. A word on forging wrought....  Since it's so varied in quality , I highly suggest working a small sample first. I've had problems with it cracking/splitting on the ends quite often,but it's probably my particular supply of wrought. Just make sure you get it nice and hot,and that should minimize problems. It's really amazing stuff.

Also,I noticed you have a spacer in the middle of the grip. This is a real pain to work with if you aren't precise from the beggining,all though perhaps you already have experience with this. Lining up eight surfaces is finicky. Square everything up to start out with ( I like using a miter saw for the wood,and making sure the hilt pieces are even off the anvil). It's very rewarding when you're done though !  Make sure to show us photos of the finished piece.

Cheers !

Good to know about the wrought iron, i only worked it for a few minutes the other day; i was pretty tired from some knives the other day. It doesn't work so well at a lower cherry temp and did flake out a little bit. Thanks for the information. 

I am planning on turning the 2 wood pieces on my lathe, possibly turning the spacer in the middle all in one piece. I haven't decided yet. I was thinking something slightly more exotic for a spacer, something to highlight the wrought and darkness of the steel. Ideas? 

I would suggest copper for the spacer,to throw it out there. Iron and copper together look beautifully elemental. Very striking.

Turning the wood is great,but I was refering to lining up the ends,where the pieces all join together. It's hard to get it all flush with zero gaps,say,between the spacer and the grip,or the grip and guard. Does that clarify my meaning?

On the handle, you might find that having the center section larger in diameter than the two ends results in a more comfortable grip. I'm looking forward to seeing the results, especially what you do with the wrought iron. I have some that I've been saving for a special project.