I Forge Iron

any chance for a hatchet, hawk, ax class in tue knife chat?

Anyone willing to take the group through all the steps to how they make an ax with a high carbon insert for the bit? What your favorite bit is? Welding a 1080, 1095 or a 5160 bit. Mild steel heads vs. One steel heads?

Drift vs wrap, different bit stocks, any difference in technique for a small hawk compared to a heavy splitter. Explain why a ground and polished blade is better than the textured paint on Lowes roofing hammer that is sold as a hatchet. If its there in the older stuff that's not available on the mobile app I'm sorry for wasting time. I can't afford a computer and smart phones aren't great for searches.

The method used to make a tool will of course depend on your abilities. Whether you split and drift or wrap and weld may be decided by whether you can forge weld or have a striker. And that of course considers that you have the tools to do either. 

The suggestion above about the library for puter acces is brilliant.

I realize I am a little odd and different than any  of the rest of the world. But if I thought there was some information I could access,,,anywhere, I would seek and find. I would do wotever it took to learn from it. And in the past that has led to dissapointments and success.

To think youi are limited in ability to search due to phone limitations seems to me like you are almost like willing to look in one room and not peek in another. Open up and explore.

I would have never thought that anytime in my life this kind of information would have been availeable to anyone let alone everyone.

It's up to you to use or not.

As for the smart  phones..I don't have one, However i think any of my four grandsons can find anythin on theirs!

I use an I phone, and it handles the full sight just fine. Way back when I first sighned up I couldn't navigate the security from my palm, and there fore never saw the compleat blue print files. But I'm still learning somthing new every day. If not directly, because I'm of searching the net.
As to searches, make sure you click what sections you want to search or you will come up with squat.

By the way, Knife chat is on Wed eves not Tues. Maybe why I have not seen you?

Lol at myself I really should spell check. The is what I thought I was typing. It's not that I'm ignoring the knife chat its that I get up at 3:45 am. For my day job.

The method used to make a tool will of course depend on your abilities. Whether you split and drift or wrap and weld may be decided by whether you can forge weld or have a striker. And that of course considers that you have the tools to do either.
The suggestion above about the library for puter acces is brilliant.
I realize I am a little odd and different than any of the rest of the world. But if I thought there was some information I could access,,,anywhere, I would seek and find. I would do wotever it took to learn from it. And in the past that has led to dissapointments and success.
To think youi are limited in ability to search due to phone limitations seems to me like you are almost like willing to look in one room and not peek in another. Open up and explore.
I would have never thought that anytime in my life this kind of information would have been availeable to anyone let alone everyone.
It's up to you to use or not.
As for the smart phones..I don't have one, However i think any of my four grandsons can find anythin on theirs!

I appreciate your personal dedication to your craft. I'm blessed with a working small farm, a full time job an hour from home, 2 small children, and a wonderful wife who makes time for me to be able to hit hot metal. My time is very limited and I feel that you have judged me unfairly.