I Forge Iron

My New Fiery Furnace Rounding Hammer

HWHII

So for some time now I have been wanting to step up to a bigger or a more balanced hammer. After reading the thread, Why use a rounding hammer, and watching the Hofi hammering techniques and trying a Hofi Hammer I decided to go with a Brian Brazeal style rounding hammer.

I had a few choices I guess on who to buy this hammer from and I chose to get one from Dave Custer and Chase Saxton. After watching there video on striking and following Dave's posts and admiring all his work. I decided to put my money were my mouth was and support these young smiths efforts and I am not disapointed. This is in my opinion is a beautiful hammer. It has wonderful craftsmanship. The facsets all around the hammer are even and uniformed and the finish grind and polish is near perfect. All I might do is shape the handle a bit for my hand.

A big thank you to you Brian Brazeal! You are a wonderful instructor! Your work shows through in the craftmanship of these young blacksmiths.

post-6037-0-50161600-1362183478_thumb.jp

post-6037-0-40840700-1362183487_thumb.jp

post-6037-0-30060600-1362183495_thumb.jp

They're both here on IFI. Dave is FieryFurnace, and Chase posts as Trip. 

A little while back I had the opportunity to take a class from Dave and we made a roughly 4 lb hammer. I learned an awful lot, and had a great time. Can't say enough good things about the experience. Got a nice hammer, too! :)

I could not find a web site for them????

Dave

Hi there! I'm Dave Custer Fiery Furnace Forge Blacksmith LLC. Chase Saxton (trip on here) is my striker for doing the hammers!

Harold,

Chase is doing the handle jobs in his shop. We agreed that it would be better to leave the handles a bit on the bulky side so that folks could trim them down however they liked.

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments. I'm glad you guys are pleased with your investments and Chase and I really appreciate your support.

I know for me personally it's a real honor to have been able to spend time under Brian and with the Young Smiths 2012 adventure, to gain the experience to produce the tools I am able to now. It's a real honor as well to know that the tools that I've made are used and appreciated by others.

Hammer on!

I was just interested in seeing some more of their work.

We are far enough apart that I don't expect to visit them :)

Hammers are my main tool- you can get by with a pretty bad anvil and a junk forge and just vice grips or a pair of pliers and still do some good work- if the hammer doesn't fit it makes even the simplest job not very enjoyable.

Glad you guys are able to get together and make some good hammers.

Dave