I Forge Iron

Picked up a American scale Co. No.20 anvil vise w/pics

I bought a American scale Co. No.20 anvil vise on crigslist and cleaned it up so I could read the writing

and I am having a hard time finding info on it if anyone has any knowledge on this I would appreciate if you could tell

me something about it. The guy I bought it from said it was a vise from the 60's but I think it is mabey early 1900's correct me if I am wrong ???

post-29418-0-72517500-1361834661_thumb.j

post-29418-0-26914600-1361834671_thumb.j

post-29418-0-37205300-1361834678_thumb.j

Greetings,  AH

This vise was kind of a shopsmith vise normally sold as a kit with a forge and small anvil....  Old Sears Roebuck Catallog..  The hole in the front was for a mandrel that had a grinding wheel that could be installed...  It also came with a small cut off..

Nice find...   Jim      Closer to the 1900s

I wasnt going to use it for hammering, I just wanted to gather some info on it.

I wouldnt dare pound on a cast antique its heavy but not heavy duty, I have broken every cast iron vise I have ever owend.(I am slightly abusive ... Just slightly =) American scale co. is from Kansas city there are markings on the side under American scale co. that say KC. Mo.

And does vso stand for vise -shaped -object ?