I Forge Iron

new to blacksmithing

Hi I have been in the steel business for over 15 years fabricating and erecting structural steel.  I have become very intersted in damascus steel and have been trying to learn how to make knives from cable.  I have a coal fired buffaloe forge and a welding table of 1 inch plate.looking to buy an anvil please give me some  advice on the anvil buying would like to get a peddinghaus because have read good things about them but are there others that would serve me well. I am in southern Illinois and would really like to spend some some time helping someone that knows what they are doing any help appeciated.

thanks in advance

Well, there's plenty of information out there on making knives, damascus or otherwise.  The biggest problem you might run into is biting of more than you can chew as making damascus isn't exactly a beginner project.

As for anvils, Pendinghaus is certainly a good brand, but do is Trenton, Fisher, Wright, and Paragon.  Vulcan anvils are alright, though considered the least of the top names.

If you work in the business, look for something to make a post anvil out of.  Knife making doesn't require a traditional london-pattern anvil and a lot of the very best knife-makers use a simple block of steel.  A piece of 4140, for example, that's 4x4x18, turned vertical and set in a stand, will give you a very heavy anvil with all of the mass directly under the hammer's blow.  You just don't get better than that!

I've been looking for a post anvil for some time, now, just to add it to the stable.

stump+anvil.jpg

IMG_0047-1.jpg

Welding cable is easy as it already is in a bundle.  I weld mine in a half round bottom swage usually in a power hammer but hand hammer will get the job done.  I weld round first then twist while stille round the change the pattern then flatten into a blade shape or square up and forge weld to other pieces to make a larger blade.

First thing to do is make sure ther in not none metal in the center.  Some calbe has a hemp or other rope in the center and this is not good for welding.

Heat your cable to welding temp somewhat slowly the center needs to be as hot as the outside. and the thin outside wires want to get hot quicker than the middle.  I use anhydrous borax but twenty mule team will work.  In a gas forge use a touch rod which is a thin rod drawn to a piont that when it is the same color as the billet when you touch them together it wants to stick.  If it dont stick in the fire it will ot stick on the anvil.  A touch rod may work in coal also.  Once you have made the first few hundred welds it will be so easy you can almost do it with eyes closed as it realy isnt magic.

Billy Merrit I think Indiana welds all kinds to thing together for his blades.

Google IVBA blacksith they have some events coming.  Mar 23/24 near davenport IA (dates wrong on web site it still lists 2012 events) and an event at Salem IL.  Neither demonstrator does damascus but surely someone there would help you out.  I plan to be at Scott Co and have some DVDs on the subject.

Indiana blacmiths have summer enents and ther is a reginal conference in July at Pontiac IL with 3 demonstrators

I do agree with the above post about a knife makers anvil as spending a grand or more for a new anvil depending on size.  That grand might be better spent on materials for a Junk yard hammer.  (sorry all anvil salesmen but that is my 2 cents)

Now it you were planning very fancy or stainless damascus that is not a beginner project

Another method I was taught to use welding the first weld on cable is to weld the ends first for just enough distance to forge square or rectangular in order to be able to clamp in a vise at one end and twisting wrench on the other. Heat the cable to a good medium red all the way through. clamp it in the vise and untwist it until it opens up enough to put in your borax. load it up with borax and then while you still have some heat twist it shut again. Back in the forge and take it to a welding heat however you determine that, touch rod works well in either gas or coal/coke/charcoal. once it is at welding heat take it out and clamp it in the vise and twist it tighter until is locks up solid. it is then welded and you can forge it down and re-weld the outsides until they are smooth. You will feel it very clearly when it becomes solid while twisting. It can still be twisted after it is solid but it feels like you are twisting a solid bar instead of cable. I have use this method and the method above with equal success. Using 1" cable you can make some nice tomahawks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses I have been practicing every chance I get and are learning quite a bit.  Have also made some phone calls and had some very helpful conversations with some very nice folks.  Yesterday my uncle loaned me the use of a fisher anvil weighed 125 lbs on bathroom scale not sure how accurate they are it is a litttle rough not have been taking very good care of several nicks and weld splatters a lot better what I was using thoug.  Still going to get my own but have more time to look and learn and get the anvil that is best for me.  Currentl looking at Refflinghaus, Peddinghaus, and Fontaini any opinions on these anvils.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the responses I have been practicing every chance I get and are learning quite a bit.  Have also made some phone calls and had some very helpful conversations with some very nice folks.  Yesterday my uncle loaned me the use of a fisher anvil weighed 125 lbs on bathroom scale not sure how accurate they are it is a litttle rough not have been taking very good care of several nicks and weld splatters a lot better what I was using thoug.  Still going to get my own but have more time to look and learn and get the anvil that is best for me.  Currentl looking at Refflinghaus, Peddinghaus, and Fontaini any opinions on these anvils.

They are all good but if I bought a brand new anvil it would be a Fontaini and if you are going that far anyway, get the large one. 

Buy something made in this country, other Americans want to work too, and a lager anvil is well worth the extra cost. You get significantly more work done for the same effort on a heavier anvil. 

They are made out of solid H-13! How much better could it get.