I Forge Iron

I was offered a used Clay Spencer tire hammer and I need to know how much money they usually go for. The machine other than cosmetics (light rust) seems to run just fine. It was built at a Clay Spencer workshop and seems to be overall correct. I also need to know what type of floor base this machine should sit on once I get it home. I have dirt right now so any option is still available.

If the machine is for sale at $2000 or less, I'd buy it in a heart beat. I personally assisted Clay and Walt Beckwith with a North Carolina bid and I think every participant in the class of 20 hammers, had a materials cost of about $1000-$1200.

It is probably worth more than $2000 but after $2000 I'd start hesitating, as you could probably find something similar for around $2000.

I put in a 3x5-foot concrete pad 6-inches thick with rebar supports both horizontal and vertical. Works like a charm. Thicker is better!

TM856

2K or less ...just buy it, you will not do much better. 

Clay's hammers are a great machine at a reapsonable price.  We did a 12 hammer build in Maine and I believe the cost of materials alone was around 1K. 

Mount the hammer, its a recip machine so they will oscilate. Mount it on  piece of 1" plate if you can find it or go with concrete but make sure its bolted down to something or you could have a bad day.  

Good luck.

Peter