I Forge Iron

Soooo.... JYH... Long Overdue yet still lacking... (Pics!) .. need drive roller.

It wasn't that good an anvil. Cast iron and the face of it was all pitted.  Don't worry, I have another one for normal pounding. I made it before I found my local scrap yard, so I  used what I had at the time.   I made the anvil before I had a base.

Prolly bass Ackwards, but so what, I'm new at this and going at it pretty much solo.

Greetings ,

Sorry for the slam buuuttt ya had it comming..   If you log on to flat belt and hit and miss engines on ebay you will find a pulley to complete your project.

I have a complete line shaft driven shop and use this type of pulleys all the time..  Browning is one company

Good luck on you project

Thanks for the lead.

You guys sure are sensitive about your anvil's huh ?   I just figured, leave it in the corner to collect dust, or use it for something better.  I know it will get more service as part of a bigger machine than as an object in the corner.    Guess that's why I'm building a Junk Yard Hammer instead of buying a nice $5000 air hammer,  so I can use all the junk I haz laying around, and have the joy of deciding between bolting something up nicely or just slap some weld on there and

call it good enough.  :)

But hey, I'm not the type to put low profile tires and big rims on a Hummer so I can drive it to the car wash.   I'd rather dive bomb it into the mud and let the poor machine get some use.

Thanks for the info,

-Bruno

That is not a Russian ASO you can tell by the heel it has no taper, the Russian anvils have a taper on the heel.  It may be cast, but if it was you may have serious problems once you start forging because I doubt you followed proper procedure for welding cast iron (preheat to 500F and post heat as well as the proper rod selection).  Even if you did do everything  you welds they might fail because cast iron is brittle.  From everything I can see that was a serviceable anvil that probably could have been sold or traded for a big hunk of steel to make a proper anvil block. 

Live and learn.   I know I spent 1 day with a 9" grinder smoothing out the horn, not fun.   And the face would have been ground down to the table to get it smooth and even, and that was several days worth of work I never got to. 

Timothy Miller,  you are correct sir, I most likely did not follow correct welding procedure as I am self taught and was probably too excited when I started, as well as lacking proper equipment necessary for the task at hand.   I figured as much too, so I welded supporting plate around the anvil.   Probably won't do much good.  I don't care.   At this point I would be happy to complete the main ram and drive portion of the contraption.  

If I ever get that far, and if the anvil fails or proves to be ineffective, I'm glad I only used 3 bolts to hold it down.   And having learned much since I started, including where my junk yard is, how much oxy/acetylene as well as grinding disks costs, as well as how much cursing doesn't change existing stupid, I hope that if it does fail, I now have a better knowledge of what to do better next time.  And if not, then I guess I'll just go find a big rock somewhere and just use It to hit stuff against.  I know the rebound wouldn't feel right, but that's what apprentices are for, right?.  All the extra fun work.  I'll just tell them I know what I'm doing, it might work.

I like this forum because it's a good place for information. I see these forums as a good place to bounce idea's off of random's.  Helps me learn about a subject I have limited access too. Building a bad machine might help me get to building a good machine.  any information is better than no information I think.

I'd better get to welding.  Damndable drive roller.

-bruno

P.S.:  just realized, if it really is a cast anvil, and given I don't know proper procedure, then all the welds should knock off with a hammer, so the serviceable anvil can be saved with some hammering and minimal grinding to return it to it's previous serviceable state.   LoL :P   I'll wear my steel toe that day.