I Forge Iron

Metal work projects of a different kind

Earlier in the evening, this ended up in my web browser:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/02/diy-weapons-of-the-syrian-rebels/100461/

post-25178-0-01504300-1361426771_thumb.jpost-25178-0-22382300-1361426772_thumb.jpost-25178-0-77229000-1361426773_thumb.jpost-25178-0-36568500-1361426775_thumb.jpost-25178-0-01807900-1361426777_thumb.j

I thought it was worth sharing, because for me, this puts into perspective how the work that you or I would do as a fun hobby can be a means of survival for others.

It is good to remember that the lathes, milling machines, welders, forges, anvils, and hammers we keep in our homes and garages, and our skills in working with them, were once cutting edge weapons technology. In some parts of the world, unfortunately, they still have to be used for weapons.

I am thankful to have the opportunity to work metal as a form of recreation, and not as a line of defense of my homeland and my life and the lives of those close to me.

Regards,

Markus

Theirs. Most of the time it isn't a case of the good side vs the bad side, there are very few times in history where this is the case. These guys are probably fighting for what's best for them, maybe their freedom, maybe their lives maybe their beliefs. Whatever side they fight on, I doubt they're much different from us, and if they fight on the 'bad side', I bet their reasons for fighting are the same as those on the 'good' side.

I just think it's important to understand the significance of the photos, rather than trying to judge the craftsman in them.

Thank you for posting this!

Syria has been in conflict since there were two of them, and it's quite a hotbed for terrorist activity. Agreeable there is no real "good" and no real "bad" in accordance to the conflict at hand. It's very interesting watching from afar though, as technology and communication gives us a front row seat to these revolutionary shifts. Also allows us to reminisce and reflect on the ingenuity and ascension of our own societies in a time of conflict. War is an ugly and despicable thing, but with each conflict, the world tends to evolve towards and conjure up more of a diplomatic approach to brewing problems... Walk quiet, and carry a big stick...

If the grid shuts down and zombies run amuck in the streets, Blacksmiths will again be at the top of the food chain!!!