I Forge Iron

Mini Railroad spikes?

So i did a lighting gig in D.C. the other day, up off of Wacomb to be specific. Anyways at the end of the gig as we were loading the truck i noticed a rail road spike lying in the grass. So i grabbed it being the blacksmith opportunist that i am, didn't really pay attention to it until i got home. Which is about the time i noticed its only about 4.5"s long, coated in some sort of anti corrosion coating, and has a k emboosed on the top. What i want to know is what in the world would a mini spike be doing in D.C.  does anyone know? 

Your 4 1/2" spike is probably from a 2' gauge industrial or mine railway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrow_gauge_railway

As to how it got to DC, it is anybody's guess. I'm sure that state has its share of heavy industry and/or mining, just like any other. Maybe it fell out of some other blacksmith's pocket!

Regards,

Markus

RR spikes range in size from about 7-8" for heavy traffic main lines down to a couple inches for gardern railways.  It sounds like yours may be for a sidetrack or branch line.  Also, 19th century RRs generally used smaller spikes than modern roads.  They didn't need anything larger because engines and trains were not as heavy and didn't move as fast.

Spikily,

George M.

PS Oddly enough, when folk come up to my booth and see RR spike knives they often say, "railroad tie."  Even if they know the difference (and a surprising number do not) the word that automatically follows "railroad" is "tie."  Odd.

Dear Woody,

I knew that ties were sleepers in British/Australian usage but I didn't know that a spike is a dog.  Other RR terms that I am aware of are:

switch = points

engineer = driver

fireman = driver's mate

caboose = van

boxcar = truck (?)

ties = sleepers

spike = dog

Are there any others?

Divergently,

George M.