I Forge Iron

Chain makers anvil

Hi guys, picked up what I understand to be a chain makers anvil for £50 today. There is no makers stamp or weight markings sadly. It's clearly seen some serious use.
The face is fairly flat but has some sway to it, nothing major.

image.jpg

Any information would be appreciated though I understand there is very little to go on.

Either way, I'm pleased with the bargain price and its got plenty of life left in it yet.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

All of the chainmaker's anvils I've seen had the side "horn" replaceable.  It acted a lot like a hardy tool, but was stuck through the side.

A variety of changeable bits were needed depending on the size of the links you were forging.  You might be working on an anchor chain today, but tomorrow you would do smaller chain with, obviously, smaller links.   At least, that's how I reasoned it from what I've seen in the old videos.

Of course, I should say that I've never seen a wheelwright or cooper working on an anvil like you have, so I don't fully grasp why they needed or liked a second horn like that.

Here's a neat video of a chain-maker in action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zn6HSuO-VY

Chainmaker's anvil usually have a sq hole horizontally all the way through the body of the anvil so that the extension can be moved closer in or farther out to fit the size of chain being made.

A coachwright's anvil has a small side horn of squarish cross section to make clips for coach building with