I Forge Iron

Shop made 100lbs power hammer

I'm proud to present my mechanical power hammer. Inspired by Champion hammer. He need some adjustements and a fondation, but for the first test, i'm satisfied.

forgive me for my written english, is not so well. Is not my first language.

Enjoy this pics!

To see more of building go to youtube "building a 100lbs power hammer first test" or channel "Thierry Bélanger"

008.MOV

006.MOV

Looks good , Your hammer is based off the utility Beaudry as Will stated with the rollers externally, looks like you getting a nice action out of it and when you get it on a foundation it should  hit solid I saw one of your videos the other day on you tube, Beaudry's are a diasease  with me.

Ram guide is this flat bars of steel machined with v groove and welded on each side of flanges h-beam. They are 1 inch ¼ thick by 19

inchs long.

I have drilled two hole in each plate aligned with the groove center to install grease valves.

Two 1 inch steel square bars welded on each side of the ram and it's slide well.

post-15401-0-43909500-1361327727_thumb.j

Here the connection system of the ram with this arms and ½ diameter coil spring. You see the rolls at

the end of arms made with recycled steel caster than i can lubricate with grease nipples. Anvil is made

by a 10 inch steel shaft, you can see the huge key hole, his weight: 518 pounds. 

The hammer Just wait to be installed correctly to be effective.

post-15401-0-54088500-1361549666_thumb.j

post-15401-0-87475600-1361549855_thumb.j

post-15401-0-99486900-1361549869_thumb.j

post-15401-0-62777100-1361550108_thumb.j

I admire your workmanship and ingenuity.  I've also often felt the Beaudry utility hammers were one of the most functional mechanical designs because they went to coil springs and the outside arm design.

100 lbs is a very useful size but I think it would be pretty cool to build a 250 lb version - that would be a real "thumper"...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...