I Forge Iron

Learning methods

I have now got my forge up and running:D and am ready to get to work. I haven't done any blacksmithing for 6 years, so really need to start from scratch again.

My plan was to start with each technique, and do it over and over until i get it perfect, then move on to the next technique. When i am done with that, i can start designing and making actual objects. BUT......my man (not a blacksmith) reckons i should start making objects and learn as i go along, thereby keeping an open mind towards techniques and be more open to experimentation and learn by making mistakes. I am unsure which way to go.

So how did you learn and was it right for you with hindsight? I know everyone varies to how they learn best, but I'd be interested to hear your experiences!

Thanks

Louise:)

well I was 7 when I started my apprenticeship and was taught by the repetition thing, keep doing it till you get it right, its still a good way and when you are done, you know when to do what and your scrap pile is a lot smaller. But on the other hand we learn by our mistakes. I have learned well by the size of my scrap bin. LOL

I begin each smithin session with a specific technique that I will use for the object I am working on. Kinda like a musician does scales to warm up. THis includes hammer tech. and a general stretching of muscle groups used in working. then I move into the project. Planning the project out give me an "order of operations" gotta have fun while you work too eh?

What works for me is I like to pick a piece of metal, and then say to myself:

"Self, what can you make out of this today?"

Then I think about the techniques/skills I will have to use, or the techniques/skills I will have to learn to make that item.

After I have a rough plan, I commence to making the item.

If I mess it up, lesson learned. "Without failure, one cannot appreciate success" or something like that.

If it comes out like I wanted it to, great. I then make another to reinforce the skills I just used to make it. Sometimes, I will look at the first piece, and incorporate changes in the second piece, etc. etc.

The scrap pile is a great part of the learning curve, and I have my share of failed projects.

However, when all goes well, it is nice to have the finished object to look at, show around and say "I MADE that myself."

Learning wood turning. I never had time to really practice as I worked only on weekends, and usually only half a day. Instead, I did projects each and every time. I always had something to show for my lack of skills, bkut did get results. If I had all day long, several days a week, I would do things differently.

When I actually start forging, I will simply start on projects and see how they come out...

When you pick something you would like to forge analyze it to see if you have the skills to do ever part ot it. If it requires bending to a pattern like in a scroll try one and see learn that part or move on if you are ready. If it requires punching and drifting to a specific size test yourself on that. If you will have a forge weld get that down. This method takes advantage of what you can do and lets you upgrade skills as you find a need. It also does not limit what you want to build. You have to develop not only muscly memory but you have to train your mind to allow your body to do what it can without overthinking small things. Enjoy

OK here's my nickels worth. Make sure your anvil is right height. This will surely make life easier for you. Then get some 6-8 mm square or round stock. Cut to 9-10 " long ( 1/2 dozen pieces ). If your tongs don't fit this stock, heat and adjust them to fit. Draw the ends of these pieces and loop a pigtail on each end. THEN practice looping the ends over the horn to make "S " hooks. This is suggestive only. Do half dozen of these and look them over. THen increase the length of the stock and try a few longer hooks. Make some "J " hooks and drill them for mounting ( some call these wardrobe hooks ). When you draw the ends of the stock, leave some square and finish the draw on the others by rounding before making the pigtail. As has been noted, repetition works. Just trying to make what you see in your head works too ( may take a while for some projects ). If you have got something that you like to make and wish to make again, get a spiral notebook and take notes. You may be surprised how some things are forgotten over time. Notes include lengths and whatever else ( hammer used, etc ). Good luck. I might also add that some of my training came from being a small lad in the blacksmith shop ( as a customer with Dad, not like growing up in a shop like Junior ).