I Forge Iron

1" square hole through a block of steel

Hi, I'm looking to make a 1" square hole through a block of steel (44-56 RC)about 2-3 " deep. I have several blocks to chose from. They were used as some form of die and I've verified the hardness. Don't know what kind of steel other than higher carbon. They vary in size from 2.5-4.5" L X W X H. My plan is to toss in my forge then let cool slowly to take the hardness out, drill a hole close to size then reheat and try to drive a 1" square piece of hardened drill rod to shape the hole.

I used my hardie hole to try and form a hardie shank but noticed a bit of bluing on the edge so not going there. XXXX since lots of videos of people doing the same for longer than I exposed my anvil. I have since a pic of a hardie shank forming tools that was a block with a square hole formed in it and it was chained to the top of their anvil. So I'm wondering how likely is this to work?

It would likely be easier to use a cape chisel to chisel out the corners of your round hole... with such a thick and massive block of steel there is no easy place for a drift to move any displaced metal.  Also the relative masses of the drift (mniscule) and the steel block (HUGE) would mean that keeping the drift cool and the block much hotter is quite difficult... even very unlikely!  It might seem inefficient to chisel out the corners but hose who have done it have made pretty good progress in only a few hours.  There are several threads on here in regard to this very type of project!  

I have put a one inch square hole thru 2 inch thick hot roll before

Drilled a 7/8  hole

Heated the 2 x 4 x 10 inch long bar to a yellow heat

Me and a striker the drove a pre forged 1 inch square drift with a long taper  made from A36 thru it in two heats

we were making a brian brazeal type anvil for making hammers

I have done similar to make bolster blocks you will have some swelling around the hole that will need to be ground off or forged back in.  Its not that hard but you need to make the proper drift.

This may be a silly question but here goes. Why not pre-drill with a 1" bit? Its diameter will be the same as the square then you would be drifting a lot less material. I have never done this so not at all sure. Maybe there is a reason for pre-drilling with a bit smaller than the hole will be. Of course, if you don't have a 1" bit you would have to make due.

Fred

Fred, if you drill the same size as the square hole you want, you will have little round bite marks on the sides of the square.

If you imagine, the square edges of the drift are pushing the hole out in all directions, and will push the drilled sides out too.

Hard to describe, sorry.

It would only take one time to witnes the messup. 

You actually must move metal around in all dimensions...so if you had a 1 in hole then theoretically there would be no metal moved from that position. And there could be a stress point there too...but not likely to be life threatening in this condition.

As you drive the properly shaped drift through the hole...which can be as large as 7/8...metal will be upset in the form as a bulge upward and downward. With the 7/8 hole the amount of upset metal is not such a bad thing...and can be plannished down flat.

Now this may seem strange. It was to me too until Brian, Lyle and myself put a 1 in square hole in 3 inch thick metal with a 7/8 in two heats! The whole project from cold start to cold finsh 2 hours complete.

Remember to drive the drift back through when quite cool to plannish the inside of the hole and perfect the dimension. Your drift should be correctly made too..ie.. the top of the tool should be longer than the thickness of the project.

Before starting the project be sure to "index" the hole from and back by "bruising" the round hole with the square drift. Here the square is aligned to be correct front and back. There is the possibility that you may have to drift from either end should something go wrong. If it does go awry then the square is correct front and back and the hole will not have a twist. 

good luck...

and yeah...weld long heavy bars on each end to be used as tools to handle the hot material. When heating start slowly...or you will burn the outside. Well you will not be able to see it because the thick wide metal on top. It is very easy to burn the outside though.

carry on

I just put some square holes 3/4" and 1"  through some pieces of 4340 and 4140.  The method I used was. Drop off at the wire edm shop.  Pick up from the wire edm shop.  Mail a cheque to the wire edm shop.  

I went with this method because the bolsters I was making were going to be used for 100s of tools and I wanted to make sure the hole was the right size and perfectly perpendicular to the faces.   As well 2 of the tools needed machining after the hole was put in and I have never had great luck with annealing 4340 in vermiculite and machining setup was much easier without the distortion from forging.

What if you bored an oversized hole,1 1/2, and sleeved it with a piece of 1 1/2 thick wall square tubing,1/4 wall,  hammered in whatever sized rd stock fits into the corner gaps and welded the heck out of it then ground it all flat. Maybe us hard facing rod. I know it would be a slow go drilling the hole, but the rest would go fast. Just a thought. Bob.

I don't think I could drive a 1" drift through 2" plate by myself. I would give it a try if I had some one to help me. I've been considering having some 2" plate waterjet cut or a striking anvil with the hole cut slightly undersize & file finish to size to clean up the kerf.

Not all communities have equal resources. For instance the local EDM shop id 50 miles away...and I forget the hourly rate and minimum setup fee but it is very expensive...and we have a local waterjet but it demands 285 bucks an hour! well the situation is that neither place want our little projects!

Forging a square hole through a thick plate of steel is rather simple in description..and only slightly more complicated. A good striker at a good working height, with a good heat and a good tool...equals a good project.

Carry on