I Forge Iron

Welding problem with Thermal Arc Raider 10000

HWooldridge

I've asked this question on a couple other welding forums without much success so I'm hoping for better luck here...

I bought one of these machines for not much money because it had been sitting idle for a while and would not start. I took it to a local Honda generator dealer who got it running for about $600 in parts and labor so it starts easily and runs fine; putting out the correct power at all of the plugs. The engine is strong and the machine only has about 300 hrs on it.

However, the welding circuit has a problem because the machine will suddenly put out full power when welding, which melts the weld and rod all over the place. I was welding with it last week using 5/32" 6011 rods and all was going great then it suddenly starting acting like an arc gouger, blowing metal everywhere. I've done all types of welding for over 30 years so it's not operator technique and although I tried to pull the rod out to let the puddle cool, there just isn't much that can be done when the machine puts out full current.

My son and I have tried to use the machine to weld several times and the occurrence rate is unpredictable. It happens frequently but not on every weld; maybe three or four times in any welding session and the timing is erratic - almost as if a relay is sticking. The Honda dealer said the "motherboard" goes out occasionally and it would be another $600 to replace it - but I'm not sure whether his diagnosis is anything beyond simply replacing more parts and hoping for a good outcome. I don't mind spending more money to get it welding consistently but I also don't want to throw good money after bad since it works as a gen-set.

Any advice regarding repair would be appreciated.

Thx, Hollis W

Is there a local welder that might have experience with your type of welding machine, or a similar problem.  Also, I would check with a welding school.  They may also have experience with that type of problem.  If the Honda dealer is not a welder, he may just be guessing what the problem is.  Have you tried Thermal Arc themselves. They may be more help.  Good luck.   

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I'm not ready to declare total victory but after replacing the vibration isolator buttons, resetting some wires and unplugging/replugging the main wire connector, I was able to weld with several different size electrodes without the machine running away.

The only odd thing at this point is that the hi-lo idle switch is backwards. The "turtle" sign is full speed and the "rabbit" is idle. This was happening before I did anything but I thought it might go away after the repairs. I looked at the back of the switch but it's buried in a small board with some other items so I'm going to leave it alone. One of the duplex receptacles on the front panel is also dead but that's easily  replaced.

All things considered, I'm satisfied so long as nothing else craps out. I only used it for about ten minutes but had no issues during that time. This machine is a real joy to use when welding correctly - nice quiet arc and little spatter.

Thanks to everyone for the responses...Hollis

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Did you look at the date of the above posts Carl? We haven't heard more about this 5 year old situation for 3 years.

Have you called the manufacturer? Make a phone call, contacting virtually any large company online only puts you on the ignore list.

Frosty The Lucky.