I Forge Iron

Anyone know anything about BELLS?

I bought an old steel cowbell in a junk shop that I planned to rig with a stainless steel cable and hinge and spring arrangement to use as a doorbell, where you would yank on the cable outside and the bell would pivot on a shaft to make it ring inside.

I TIG welded a piece of mild steel to the part of the bell where the cow's collar would go through, and immediately afterward, I noticed that the bell didn't ring with a sustained sound like it did before.

So I was wondering: Are bells typically made of high- or medium-carbon steel and hardened to make them ring?

And if so, does anyone know how I can get it to ring nicely again? Heat to orange and quench? Am I likely to harden it TOO much?

Thanks for any advice.

You  have altered the pathways in the metal that resonate. The addition dampened the ring. I woiuld not guess whether you can remove it and restore the ring. i have made some triangular dinner bells that ring from low carbon steel. I have also made some bells from horse shoes. mild steel also. Not sure wot yours is made from.

There's a famous cowbell maker out of Brooklyn New York if memory serves me correctly. I believe he was from Puerto Rico, and made them for bands including Santana. I guess i ought to look that up...

Hold on a sec...

Cali Rivera BRONX NY, I was close! Radio Diaries

i remember reading an article about him and about the construction of the cow bells. I just don't recall where or when...

Regards,

Albert

What you welded on has ended up being a vibration dampener.    Remove it and let the bell hang free to ring (vibrate).   Then figure out how to let it hang free for your intended use.   To get a ring the bell must vibrate.   When you stiffened it AND added weight you dampened it AND changed the harmonics.  

The hardening part is probably not a huge deal???  Bells been around a long time probably most not hardened.   But a hardened bell...  hmmm.???

Remove the dampener and let us know.  

Think about it.   Think of bells you have seen.  Bells hang from loose chain or some other loose attachement.   They don't hang welded solid to sticks.   There is a reason for that.   ;o)