I Forge Iron

Probably NOT the rarest Fisher in the world... Interesting

If you notice there in the very-bottom picture, just below the top plate and behind the horn, there is a very peculiar hole... I can't quite wrap my mind around what exactly the intention wast there... At first I thought that it was a casting blemish, but its perfectly round as if someone poked their finger into it... I couldn't imagine Fisher producing a product that awful, and letting it slide out the door...  I could actually fit my index finger in it, just past the root of my cuticle...

Then, It mades me think of that wagoneer anvil... I reminded myself that the base was cast iron, and probably couldn't take that stress. 

I just don't understand why its there??? Random placement, but the blemish itself looks uniform and symmetrically round... It resembles those nasty interstate truck stop bathrooms with the laminate facia particle board stalls... your minding your own business, hovering, not trying to touch anything except the paper, and then you notice that work spot on the divider where a little peek hole that's about 75% complete, just waiting to break the laminate barrier to the other side...

I'm stumped on that one until I here from someone like NJanvilman... 

That Fisher is not a late model, it is an 1860's era Fisher with the small round Eagle holding wheat straw.  The A I think indicates 100 lbs.

The hole looks like it is a shrinkage hole left from when they did the gating system in the pour.  Nothing to worry about.

Fisher changed their logo many times.  It will all be in my book.

Much higher quality in the construction.  I have seen several Vulcans with such bad porosity they should have NEVER been let out of the factory---I own one where the horn was broken off setting a small rivet revealing a series of voids you could stick a pencil in where the horn intersects the body *and* you can see voids peeking out from under the steel plate on the horn.  (seen that on several vulcans over the years).  The faces are often softer too. (not necessarily a bad thing for a school anvil...)

Fishers used a thicker steel plate too.

My main shop anvil is a Fisher; the only Vulcan I have is the one mentions that sits on my wall of shame.

I have a question, especially as Njanvilman on this page. How is Fisher anvils so different from Vulcan anvils?

Just to add a bit to the Curmudgeon....Fisher also used a much higher quality steel on the hammer surface.  I also suspect that their casting process was far superior to what Vulcan did.  They used a less brittle cast iron, and had better cooling and subsequent heat treating.  They also made many more anvils than Vulcan.  Experience definately paid off. 

I have an early (1875+ era) Vulcan that is a far superior anvil than their later ones.  Their quality definately deteriorated over time.