I Forge Iron

Greetings from Afghanistan (though my home is in Fl!)

Albert A Rasch

Fellows,

Just a quick hail and well met to you all!

I've always been interested in smithing, and have accumulated over the last 35 years an assortment of smithing tools. (The Mrs says she has never seen so many hammers in one place!) I have a good anvil, a large post vise, and a few tongs. I've even forged a couple of tools over make-shift forges over the years, but nothing complicated. Now my youngest son needs to be involved in something creative and worthwhile, and smithing may well be the introduction into a noble craft, as opposed to some other less than ideal vocation. So the impetus has struck me to build a shop and get him involved.

I am in the fortunate position to be able to equip a shop resonably well, but I am loath to just build it and say, "Well, here it is!" I think there is greatt value in building up slowly, and making what you need as part of an overall education. Making a set of tong halves, punching the pivot hole, and riveting it properly is an accomplishment in and of itself, in addition to completing a needed tool.

I'm looking forward to reading and contributing what I can in the future. I've already learned quite a bit from reading a few posts, and I am certain there's much more to learn!

Thanks again!

Sounds like a good plan with the youngster. I would do like you're thinking, start small with simple tools and as his skill progresses to need bigger and better slowly build them up. As need for a shop space becomes apparent then build as needed, Maybe a small covered area to start with, Later  it may get a wall, then expanded a little longer, all this would be under a "shed roof" sloping in one direction. Next step would be double size with the roof sloping the other way. Lots of info to search for.

smith

Welcome Sir,
I couldn't agree with you more. I have been doing the same with my two boys for the past few years. There is a certain satisfaction gained by working together to make things you need and even saving to purchase items. Only good things can come from your plan. Let's us know how its going from time to time.
Chuck Averett
Picayune Ms

Hello fellows!

Let me clarify, the youngster is 18 and 6 foot 4 inches tall, and outweighs me by 60 lbs! But he's still my little fellow, though if he heard me say that he wouldn't talk to me for a week! LOL! Shoot, maybe longer...

It's my ferverent hope that he takes to smithing, and I have good reasons for thinking he will. But like all kids now-a-days you have to be careful how you present the idea! Can't seem to be that I am forcing it on him. We do have a vacation planned to go to the John C Cambell Folk School for a week-long basic smithing course.I was told by the admin person that there are many young people that attend so that's a huge plus for him and an opportunity to meet other young people that do things with their hands and minds. There's also a Smithing group nearby our home that I would like to join, hopefully they will have a few younger members also.

But I digress, What I want is for him to experience the satisfaction of starting a job with an idea, using his mind and hands, and seeing it through to completion and use. There's no reset at the forge, no escape key. You have to do it.

Ok guys,I promised Rob I would put a post in on Smithing and Beekeeping in the General Discussion, Everything Else forum. I think that the title will be... "Beekeeping and Smithing - Crafts that go Hand in Hand"

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Albert A Rsach

Stuart,

Flattery will get you everywhere sir, and yes, i have been known to turn an appropriate phrase on occasion!

To answer your initial question, no I have not seen a single blacksmith's shop, or more likely a storefront in the ruins of a dilapidated mud hut in all the time i have been here. It's not from lack of trying either. When my jobs allowed me to travel outside the wire, i would often ask if anyone knew of a blacksmith's shop. Usually this involved drawing a picture of a London pattern anvil and a hammer. At which point eyes would light up and I would be told, "Yes Yes! My brother, cousin, uncle, best friend is a blacksmith! He lives on the next street, village, town, valley. What do you need, I take for you!"

"No, no," I would say, "I want to go to the smith myself, and talk Blacksmith business. I practice some blacksmithing back where I live."

"Oh no sir. You no can go! Many, many bad, ugly, fat people over there. I go for you! You are like brother! I take good care of you!"

I'm thinking, just like Joseph's brothers took care of him, and I don't even have a coat of many colors.

Anyway, I have asked what they know of the smith and his trade, and my understanding is that most of them hammer out simple utilitarian pieces. Like at home, the Chinese sell almost everything here for less than the people can make it for. Seriously. There's a fair trade in sheet metal work as they make a lot of stuff out of old sheet metal. Conex metal is pretty popular, and I can tell you stories about that!

Referencing the article you kindly provided, The Herat area is an interesting mix of Persians and Tajiks, who by the way, make some of the best Asian Techno around. And that my friends, is yet another story... But as I was saying, it is also rather civilized as compared to the Pashtoon dominated regions where ignorance and mysticism are the rule of the day. Herat has always been well known for its Persian rugs, it does not surprise me that foundry work may have existed in that area. A bit to the north and east lie substantial coal deposits not easily accessible from the south or east, as mountain ranges cross from northeast to the southwest, essentially creating an effective barrier to movement. But Herat lies at the terminus of those ranges and could easily access that coal.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction, and thank you for the kind words. I only hope to encourage and nurture my son's ability in that field should he choose to follow it. I'll happily settle for being his assistant!

Kindest regards,

Albert A Rasch

Welcome, tell them there are a lot of fat ugly smiths here also, we are use to that.

My Oldest child is 29 and hates the fact she will always be my 'little girl", but having 2 children of her own now, she is starting to see why I feel that way herself.

Steve,

Got to tell you all, I don't tell them much about us at all. Even when they ask. It never ceases to amaze me how many people in this world hate us, absolutely despise us, and can't wait to get a chance to come to the USA! They all know that for all our faults, this IS the land of opportunity.

When do they ever stop being our little ones? LOL! My mother still to this day, (And I am 51 now!) calls me the "Little One!" It used to be embarrassing, now it just reminds me nothing is forever...

Good stuff fellows!

Regards!

Albert

First, thank you for your service. 

Second, howdy & welcome from another newcomer. 

Third, you seem to be at about the same point with your lad as I am with mine.

I started off on small projects until some interest was evident, but now that he's finally asked, maybe he will take a genuine interest.  It would be nice to have a striker his size.  He's got me by near a hundredweight, because I'm a wormy little Texan. 

Best of luck & xxxxxx glad to have you here, Sir!

Aessinus,

Thanks, and I am pleased to be here amongst y'all too.

Regards,

Albert

PS: For those of you that aren't from the South, "Y'all" means "all of you."

Southernese, it's not just a language, it's an attitude.

I keep forgetting this forum is worldwide, so thanks for the clarification, Albert.  fyi, "y'alls" is plural, "y'all's" is plural possesive - for when I slip up.

Bentiron,

And right you are! Didn't even occur to me, but that is right on!

I think I will have to incorporate that into one of my stories...

Aessinus,

I'm glad you're amongst us, as a transplanted Yankee, sometimes my fluency in Southernese isn't what it should be, and I get gigged! Those are the kind of mistakes that can get you in real trouble!  LOL!! BTW, your screen name? WoW?

Best regards,

Albert