I Forge Iron

I've got a broken leg! please help (old cast forge)

elginrunner

I was doing some trading the other day and aquired this.....

082de.jpg

When I got it home I took a better look at the broken leg.  I figured the legs bolted on... I was wrong all are rusted in tight.  I was going to soak with penetrating oil, and try to pull the old ones out, but the broken one, I have no idea ....

Does anyone have experience like this before?? I've bought some gas pipe to replace the legs one removed....

014bxo.jpg

013lwm.jpg

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brock in AR

you could fit a smaller diameter section of pipe, maybe a a foot or so, into the rusted hole and then slip your new gas pipe over that to form the fourth leg.

Might be a little wobbly at first, but if the ID and OD of the pipe sections are close, it might just work.

Good luck, nice forge by the way.

A well tallented torch man could cut that out and never ruin one thread. In the past we did that same thing on farm and construction machinery frquently. But there must be a hole open on the other end too for proper results. Time required: about 10 minutes, including pulling out the hoses and putting them back up., tip already very sharply clean though.

Carry on

• 2 weeks later...