I Forge Iron

Show your first knife

jmccustomknives

Seeing some newbies show there first knives I got to thinking about my first and how I got started.  My niegbors gave me a bunch of old bed frames.  I figured I could use the angle iron to make jigs for hot rod parts and such.  That stuff was so hard I couldn't drill through it.  One day I got the bright idea to make a knife out of it.  Being in the welding industry I had a rudimentary understanding of heat treating but had no practical knowlege.  I would grind them out on a cheap belt sander and heat treat them with a cutting torch (ok, I still do that from time to time) by heating the edge.  It just seemed right to do it that way.  The blade pictured is one of those first ones.  You can't see it but in close inpection there are cracks from the edge quench in water.  You might also note that there is just one pin, anealing was a problem then too. 

I didn't have anybody to teach me or show how to do certain things, so even now I don't do much right.  Now the bug has bitten and I can't stop. 

I'd like for others who have been doing this a while to show there first if you can and tell how you got started.

017_zpsd9379630-1_zps856e1fcd.jpg

I made these two knives at the same time for my first. I had wanted to make a knife ever since I was a kid. I finally decided to do it. These were made mostly with a belt sander. Handles are desert ironwood. I had these professionally heat treated but have since built my own forge and handle that myself now.

post-10211-0-08702000-1359345581_thumb.j

post-10211-0-20189000-1359345653_thumb.j

Here is mine.Made from a leaf spring,and wood that I was told is teak.I lost a bit more than 1/2 inch of the original length due to the learning curve of the belt sander.That changed the profile,which had a bigger belly.Now on my 5th knife I only use an angle grinder. Oh well,live and learn. 

http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j476/tantofolder/bowie%20knife/