I Forge Iron

Anvil edges, should I grind the edges to smooth them out?

Hello everyone,

My name is Kirk, a newbie from Buhl, Idaho. I just post on the introduction area, so I won't repeat myself here.

I was hoping to get some opinions on what to do with the edges on my anvil I bought. It weighs about 250 pounds or so. The face is flat and it seems to have decent rebound and a decent ring. The edges are in bad shape though. I was considering using an angle grinder to smooth them out a bit. What do you all think?

Thanks for any help!

Kirk

post-30165-0-70061200-1359221803_thumb.j

post-30165-0-18204100-1359221920_thumb.j

I am not sure wot is going on with the edges, It almost looks like they have been welded with nickel rod,,,I will take a guess that you have not forged much,,and I will suggest you just start forging and learn wot you want  your anvil to do. The anvil is the bottom fuller part of a two piece die set,,hammer is the other. If that is a welded up area, and if it is above the face of the anvil I would bring it down even with the face. Aftes shaped differently. After you have some miles on it decide if you wish changes. I like different parts of my edges to have different radius for different work. Only on th end of the heel do I have an area of almost no radius.

I would agree it looks like someone tried to repair the chipped edges by welding new ones on.  It is good to work some on it before modding it to fit your needs.  It really will depend on what aspects of forging and how much you do as to what you will want to do to make those edges more usible.  Be aware that sharp edges in most forging will cause problem areas  that can cause a part to come apart in two or more peices in the middle of you working on it or sadly once you've put a lot of work into finishing it. 

Looks like a hairless ground ape with a sledge hammer did a whole lot of cold work on the edges of the anvil.  Then another skill adverse hairless ground ape went at it with a arc welder to symbolically repair it but in reality making it much worse.  You could improve the condition of the of the edges by doing some grinding. I suspect some of that damage was caused by improper welding methods the welder failed to preheat the anvil and the welds came off with some of the edge attached.  I suspect those are what some of those pits are. Those edges may come flying off when struck hard with a hammer.   But in reality this anvil due to its previous abuse is an excellent candidate for repair.  meaning grinding away the old welds then building up the edges with the proper welding rods with pre and post heating finally grinding smooth.  See the "Rob Gunther anvil repair method". 

Yikes Kirk, that is pretty ugly.   That anvil needs rebuilt.     Maybe during a visit home you could bring it up to my pops shop and I would fix it up for ya.   it would take a full day to bring it back to life but its really what needs to be done to make it usable.

Until then its a good hard place to beat on and you can pick and choose an edge best you can.   I disagree with the ones who said not to grind on it.   I would use a sanding wheel, not a grinding wheel and square up some places.  be careful not to do more than dress it but as it stands I dont think you can make it any worse.   Clean it up and use it until it can be redone.

Looks liked the previous idiot didn't do a proper pre/post heat to the anvil and so their repairs just resulted in HAZ cracking making the problem worse not better  (I claim that weldors and machinists do more damage to anvils through not knowing HOW the various types are made than many a smith with a hand hammer will do in a lifetime!)

45 years ago I bought an anvil that needed edges rebuilt. The local welding shop recommended a Stoody rod that was COMPLETELY the wrong thing to use. It was a hard surfacing rod that broke off just like the one you have. Chunks flying everywhere. I'd side with Timothy. Get that crap off there and get it fixed up right before somebody gets hurt.