I Forge Iron

What type of steel?

I've run across a fellow that has several wagon tires. I was curious what type of steel they might be. I found the table on this site, that lists the RR, and junkyard steel values, but didn't see that item characterized. Would it be similar to a harrow disc? I also came across several hay rake teeth, I think I'll try to snag those this week.

Work it hot, enjoy the heck out of how easily it forge welds, and make some nice things from it, it's semi rare to get anymore. Grind it clean when you are done, and etch in acid to bring out the pattern(really only a technique used when making blades or fittings on blades.

Wagon Tires are indeed Wrought Iron, usually the worst wrought iron that was available, If you start working it real hot, (a yellow or white) heat and hit it hard it will just crumble and explode, if you work it at a red heat it will crack and split. the trick is to get it to an orange and work it under a power hammer just a little a couple of times to destroy the grain, then you can work it normally. I used to use it to repair old antique Woodworking tools from the 1800's as it is easy to forge weld and the repairs are done with almost the same metal the tools were made of.

Depending on how well refined the wrought is, you'll need to work it at a bright yellow to near welding heat or it wlil crumble apart when you start hammering on it. The better quality it is, the lower temp you'll be able to work it. It works MUCH easier than modern steels under the hammer, feels like hammering on clay even if you're used to working tool steels =)

Note NOT ALL WAGON TIRES ARE WROUGHT IRON! I have worked with several that were mild steel; of course this was in areas where wagons were used a lot longer than some places.

Anytime you make a catagorical statement the gremlins of the junkyard will go out of your way to prove you wrong.