I Forge Iron

Peter Ross inspired spatula

Fe-Wood

We had Peter Ross as our lead demo at this years Octoberfest. I am now just getting to work with  some of the techniques he shared with us!

This started as a piece of 3/8" x 1" x 3" stock. By Hammer and hand, Anvil and heat, I forged this....

post-6253-0-53781000-1358654635_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-98584900-1358654734_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-06670600-1358654828_thumb.jp

Thanks Clinton and Mike!

HWHII,

I started with a piece of mild steel 3/8"x1"x about 3".

This was an "off the cuff" piece so I didn't make any measurements. 

First move was to fuller (isolate) the material needed for the flipper end. I worked in about 1/2 of my finish depth.

Then I made the rough shape of the flipper end. Forming a taper

Then I started to draw out the handle end.

I did that a couple times (I think) so I wouldn't move to much material to fast and develop a crack at the fullered area. I also worked it very hot.

After I drew out the whole handle area to about 3/8" sq. I isolated the handle detail material. The ball came out of a mass about 3/8"x3/8"x1/2" or 5/8". I only rounded the end slightly. Really just knocking the corners off.

The finish shaft is 1/4"x1/4" 

The important move in this piece is working the material isolated for the handle design and flipper part with a cross peen starting in the middle and working out in either direction. You want to work the middle almost to the finish thickness ( about 1/16") before really working the edge material, again work very hot. The cross peen I used is about 5/16" wide. I found my wider (7/16") cross peen was to big to move this size material effectively. If done right, you should not have to reshape the edges. Bring material from the center out to remove any irregularity in the edge line.

Good Luck and have fun Harold!

Michael, 

He demo'd the making of the handle design and a round shape for a ladle. I didn't get to watch the Divider part... Really wish I'd been able to. I'm going to be working on getting him back out here for a class, you interested?

Timothy,

Your right about Peter's dedication to the Colonial period of Blacksmithing. What inspired me for this design was the way he moved the material and how he set it up before hand.

Michael, 

He demo'd the making of the handle design and a round shape for a ladle. I didn't get to watch the Divider part... Really wish I'd been able to. I'm going to be working on getting him back out here for a class, you interested?

Timothy,

Your right about Peter's dedication to the Colonial period of Blacksmithing. What inspired me for this design was the way he moved the material and how he set it up before hand.

Keep in mind rural blacksmiths were making forks. spoons and spatulas into the early 20th century as gifts and for sale. Its only from the 1920's into the 1960's that the tradition was neglected.   There are some who would argue that it never really died. 

Keep in mind rural blacksmiths were making forks. spoons and spatulas into the early 20th century as gifts and for sale. Its only from the 1920's into the 1960's that the tradition was neglected.   There are some who would argue that it never really died. 

And for that I am gratefull!

Being on the west coast, we don't have access to much colonial period work and certainly no one here who teaches it... at least not that I know of...

Michael, 

I'm going to be working on getting him back out here for a class, you interested?

If you can get him out here to teach, I'd go. Not that there's not a lot of great smiths working in California, but I won't find myself in North Carolina anytime soon.

Harold,

I didn't fuller to the finish depth of 1/4" in go round. I fullered about 1/2 the original size (1") then reorganized the material (reshaped it) then went a bit further with the fullering and reshaped again. I crept up on the finish size so I wasn't taking to much material all at once, causing unnecessary stress and cracking the steel. 

Hope that helps-

No pain- I didn't measure it but I think it was about 1" to 1 1/4" of parent stock. My spatula finish size is 2 5/8" at the widest and 4" long with a smooth transition to the 1/4" sq handle. Its is just a hair over 1/16" thick. I give you those dimentions so you can calculate it out if you want to.