I Forge Iron

Why not a cast anvil

"I bought a 150# jet anvil brand new paid around $250.
It is supposed to be cast steel?? Dropped a 1 inch ball bearing from 1 foot it bounced back about 8 inches.
When you hit it with a hammer the hammer does recoil.
It will be a long time before I realize it doesn't work as good as it should. Watch out for used anvils: a lot of them have been through a fire and won't bounce a bearing at all"
Take Care
TJ
I posted this back in o2 wondering why a cast iron anvil isn't any good. People say good for a boat anchor or a door stop.
Does anybody know why? or are we just like sheep and follow the flock? BAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Tj

Cast iron or cast steel?  The ASOs at Harbor Freight are cast iron - although it's better than nothing, I think most smiths agree that they aren't worth the trouble.  A cast steel anvil, however, is nothing to sneeze at.  Anyone who wants to give me a Rhino or Nimba anvil (both cast steel), drop me a line.

Cast iron or cast steel?  The ASOs at Harbor Freight are cast iron - although it's better than nothing, I think most smiths agree that they aren't worth the trouble.  A cast steel anvil, however, is nothing to sneeze at.  Anyone who wants to give me a Rhino or Nimba anvil (both cast steel), drop me a line.

Hear hear. A couple of good brands mentioned there.

Virtually all modern anvils are cast- but they are cast steel and the difference is chalk and cheese. I have a couple of Chinese made cast iron anvils here which I use for some purposes but not for forging on. Cast iron deforms so much as you are hammering it absorbs a lot of the energy of the hammer. You will wear yourself out working on one.

You would do much better just with a big piece of scrap steel.

I have a known cast steel anvil and it dents when/if you hit it with a ball peen. It has this real nice/loud ring to it too when you simply tap it.

It is in great shape as it obviously wasn't used for anything.....untill I bought it used from an anvil collector.