I Forge Iron

My first tools

Here is a pic of my tools that I have made in my couple of months of forging From Left to right: 10mm punch from old ball pein, hardy cut off (shoulder came from original piece, but upset the shank to give a good fit in the hole), chisel from 6'' piece of 5/8 round, unfinished 'Hamchet' the name comes from My GF (all rights reserved lol) -- I am making a bunch of these Hamchets for practice as I bought a bucket of carpenters hammers for 20$,  next is a leaf letter opener unfinished, then a punch / drift from 5/8 round (this was my first completed project), then in the next pic you can kind of see my flat jaw tongs made from 1/2 mild steel.  The tongs are serviceable, but I did not make the one rivet head thick enough so they need to be re-riveted!    Thanks again for this site with all its helpful comments, pictures and excellent craftsman!

Take Care,

Jon

post-27406-0-31028100-1357857394_thumb.j

post-27406-0-23803700-1357857607_thumb.j

Looks good Jon, especially for beginning projects. You're really on your way now! hamchet eh? cool, the more involved she is the less she'll squawk about buying tools, fuel, stock, beer. You know, the essentials. <grin>

Well done Jon, keep at it and savor the trip.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty and Pug -- I appreciate the comments:  had opportunity to use my newly forged hardy cut off  for some small 3/8 stock yesterday, works great, though I may have made it a bit thin close to the cutting edge: Edge dressing and blade geometry's are still a skill to work on I guess.  I am now making hardy bending fork.  My 13 y/0 son came out and was striking for me (squaring off some round stock for the bending fork hardy mount) for the first time yesterday = was great, and since we are both beginners it is a learning process on both ends.  He is also working on a knife -- mostly stock removal from an old vixen file - he loves it!

Looks good keep it up.

Great your son is getting involved with you in it. I hope he keeps enjoying it.

I would suggest a small project that he can do to take to school to show his friends. Even just a leaf key ring.

Might be better then just a pic of his knife.

Have fun in the joy & madness of smithing.

Good Idea on the leaf keyring -- or something school friendly!  The rules are very tight these days.  Being the age that I am,  I have watched, and lived through most of the school changes /cultural changes -- One minute I was in grade 6 and we could fight to settle differences with no more than a slight trip to the principal's office -- then next year it was automatic suspensions for both students no matter the circumstance!   Enough ranting......

Thanks For the continued encouragement,  I spent a few hours on the grinder/polishers with some of my tools after seeing Sam Salvati's thread on Anvil tools -- very nice indeed!

Anyways -- I have attached completed hamchet and letteropener for fun!  (both tools btw)post-27406-0-80148000-1358256363_thumb.j

Thanks again for the comments -- have not made it out to my shop since I posted as it is is -35 c WITHOUT the wind chill up here......  I usually park the forge outside the garage mandoor  and leave it open -- it has been just too cold!  Its funny.....I have ONLY forged in the cold since starting in this 'hobby/obsession'..... I am not sure if I look forward to forging in warmer weather?  

One thing I have learned about forging in the winter is to pre-heat the anvil and hand tools--- I have a propane blower heater in my 30/20' shop and before forging, while getting everything together I point it directly at the anvil about 18'' away and wait till the anvil is 'warm' to the touch.....seems to help so that I do not need as many heats to complete an operation ...... a -20 anvil will suck the heat of 1'' yellow steel pretty darn fast!!!!