I Forge Iron

Norm Larson, the Booksmith passes

Randy

Michael Bondi posted today: I received the news of Norm Larson's passing today . For those of you who did not know Norm well .In my opinion Norm may have done more to educate the country about blacksmiths and the craft then almost anyone . He was really the first guy to carry and sell a wide range of books from all over the world . I know it was through Norm that I got to see all the current books from Germany and italy in the late 70"s and 80 s His books opened alot of eyes . He was always interested in the most current work and artists , while always supporting the how to and traditional work . As well as his love for wagons . He always a big supporter of the CBA and ABANA . And it was through his sort of support that the CBA became the great organization it is . Norm was a good man and will be missed.

Norm was at most ABANA conferences from the very early years on. He supported what we did and was one of the first dealers to support my book, some thing that was very appreciated by me. He was always interested in what we were doing, what we needed and always had a kind word and encouragement for each of us. There is a big hole left by his passing. - Randy

Sad to hear. I was fortunate to have visited Norm near Lompoc, California, a number of years ago. I have purchased books from him and he has given me books. He did me the favor of photographing and measuring some iron, Spanish colonial bell mountings at Santa Ines Mission near Lompoc.

It is little known, but Norm told me that in his youth, he was a rivet bucker when rivets were heated in small forges and thrown to the bucker, who caught them in a funnel-like tool. I urged him to write up his experience, but I don't think that he ever did.