I Forge Iron

Cheap, Cheap Co2

Being a cheap so and so myself I don't use 75/25 for mig welding except for SS. 75/25 costs alot more and I've not justifyably seen superior results with it. Now the huge bottles of co2 must weigh over 200lbs full which for me is a pain in the keester so I use these little aluminum bottles.....In the past I've paid $15-$18 to get one filled and as much as $35 at welding supply stores (never went back there again) but now I pay $7. How? ''Grow Stores'' that sell medical MJ supplies have these little tanks as well and they fill em cheap....... B)

post-15096-0-44807400-1357064608_thumb.j

The use of an argon mixture helps stabilize the arc and reduce splatter. As you get into the spray transfers you have to use at least 80% argon (but you're probably not using spray).

As for using co2 from a gardening store I wouldn't personally. Thats why we have welding grade gases medical grade etc. The purity for growing plants is not nearly as important as for shielding the arc and the weld puddle. Just my professional opinion.

What alot of folks might not realize is CO2 is the most common shielding gas used in the world. I use it alot in my shop also. Like when doing a repair on some really rusty items that can't be cleaned well. GMAW field welding, because the gas is bit heavier and cheap so you can crank you flow up to compansate. Also for ornamental welding where you make alot of short welds, or tacks like welding in pickets. I use in exclusively for gas shielded flux core. Some do not like it because it can be hard to get good bead apperance and has more spatter. But if you have a machine with infinate adjustable voltage control you can dial it in just fine. The trick is you need to run slightly higher voltages to get the same results. Make sure you are using a E-70S-6 filler as it is formulated to work better with CO2. It will also give you a deeper narrower weld with better penatration for heavier metal. I still use alot of 75/25 argon CO2 in the shop also. There is a time and place for all welding processes, shielding gases, and filler metals in your shop to help off set costs and and still maintain quality.

This product is the exact same thing I've been buying at my welding suppliers for 20 years.
I'm sure it probably is the same, and for what you're doing its fine. Heck I'm gonna look into it for my home shop (I like to save money too),