I Forge Iron

Recent work, Seax and more..

Matthew Paul

Yesterday I finished up a seax. I had intended for it to have a hand rubbed finish, but after the hardening and tempering I liked the look that it had, So I ran with that.

It started out as 1/4"x 1 1/4" 1095. Forged to shape with a full height flat grind and hidden tang. I went with the typical ABS style for the Ricasso&Choil area, and the typical broken back seax tip. The blade has a slight reserve to it. I was contemplating having a guard and pommel but decided to go with a more simplistic handle. The blade has an 8" cutting edge, and is 1 1/2" tall. I’m happy with the outcome but am unsure of the handle design, as of now.

I'll be taking it to the woods for some testing next week, using it for fire prep, food prep, and some camp crafts such as making pot hangers, chairs, etc. I'm curious as to how strong the tip will be.

The blade was edge quenched and draw tempered, leaving the tip a bit softer than the rest at a purplish/brown range.

Any feedback would be great.

IMG_2620copy.jpg

Next up is a 5 1/4" bladed general use woods knife that I forged. It is a full tang and made from 3/16" 1095 stock.  The blade is 1 1/2" tall, and has a full height convex "grind" The handle material is stabilized maple burl with black liners and mosaic pins. The spine of the knife has decorative vine file work in which the voids are filled black. This knife was a joy to make.

badgerclaw.jpg

Cooking knives were very popular this Christmas season. I ended up doing 8 total, 6 - 8" Chef's knives, a paring knife, and a Santoku style blade of 5 1/2"

Here is a matching set of a Chef's knife and Forged paring knife, both of 1095 with matching Desert ironwood scales.

IMG_2494copy.jpg

And the Santoku
IMG_2491copy.jpg

And finally here is the first of a new model - I call it the Dire Wolf after the largest wolf known to ever live. It has a 6" blade and is forged from 1/4" x 1 1/2" 1095. The handle is stabilized and black dyed box elder burl.

bg.png

I have done many more in the past few months but these are a nice sampling of the work.

Thank you for

looking and I would appreciate any feedback on them.
-Matthew Paul