I Forge Iron

Los Angeles area blacksmiths

Does anybody know of any blacksmiths working in the LA area. I recently moved here and would like to meet some local blacksmiths. I've looked into the Ca Blacksmithing Assoc. but from what I can tell, they seem to be primarily located in the central or northern part of the state. Thanks

Welcome to the L.A. area and yes there are blacksmiths here.  The local blacksmith school is called Adam's Forge and they have a web site.  I have taken several classes there and will be taking a class this Jan 12th from Dorothy Steigler.  They have a great set up and it's a good place to start meeting people.  You are correct in that Vista california, south of L.A. is the only other location that is close.  Most are north of L.A. in the San Francisco or above areas. What kind of blacksmithing have you done, how long, and what do you want to do?  Do you have a blacksmith shop set up?    

Welcome aboard Dognosed guy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header you may be happily surprised to find out how many IFI folk are within easy visiting distance.

I did most of my growing up in Sylmar, moved to Simi a week after the 71' Sylmar quake. We lived between the hospitals if you're familiar with that shaky day. Not that any of that has anything to do with smithing, just old memories surfacing.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am up in Ventura, about 60 miles north of LA, also on Dave's recommendation i checked out Adam's Forge and have since been there several times and was fortunate to be able to participate in a 5 day fundamentals class taught by Mark Aspery in early november of last year (2012).  Highly recommend checking them out, especially if you are under- or poorly equipped at home.

It was fantastic!  Mark is a very engaging and attentive instructor and the information he taught us probably saved me years of using my forehead as a hammer and helped make a lot of sense out of what i was reading in his fundamentals book.  It was also great feedback as he would patrol the shop and point out errors in your swing and technique.  We also learned how to fabricate our own struck tooling (chisels, punches and the like) and heat treat them, which opens a lot of doors too.

Plus the wizard bottle openers make excelent christmas gifts  :D

I spoke with some of the staff there and they said they were hoping to have Mark teach another class (didnt say on what) later in the year, my memory fades but i want to say in spring, so keep your eyes open!  i definitely recommend trying to get in on that, it will take a pretty severe conflict to keep me from attending his future classes!

Got busy and have been away, sorry I missed all the responses. I live off of Kanan Road and Mulholland in the Santa Monica Mountains. City of Malibu.

Oh  pretty country, we used to cruise Muholland. Now if you'll just put, oh say City of Malibu in your header you may be pleasantly surprised at the guys who live in visiting distance. Then again you may already know those guys and not want them visiting. <snicker>

Frosty The Lucky.