I Forge Iron

Welding/chipping hammers composition.

So I was lucky to get just under a dozen of these cheapo chipping hammers from WELDMATE. These are chinese made, and simply stamped into shape. They are soft enough that a file bites relatively easily into the tip. So I don't think that they're quality high carbon. But they're not soft either and they hold their tips relatively well. 

I was able to forge one of them into a pretty decent spear head. I haven't tried hardening any yet just cause of time and not having access to any flame since the holidays. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these things before? Worth harding and using for tool bits? or just for ornamental stuff? Any clue as to what the composition is?

I'll attach three pictures. The last one will be of the spear head I made out of one of them.

Thanks

post-27194-0-60743600-1356414793_thumb.jpost-27194-0-74642800-1356414803_thumb.jpost-27194-0-58474400-1356414819_thumb.j

those coil spring handles are neat I bought a big fork years  ago somebody had made using a big staple from a telephone /electric pole

they had welded a peice of round rod to the staple then the handle and coil spring.overall it is not 24" long but works good outside.

the staple is also kinked a bit

I am always on the look out at swap meets or flee markets for Atlas brand chipping hammers. They are made out of a higher carbon steel of some type, at least that's what a spark test tells me. I have used them for making tooling for my fly press