I Forge Iron

ID another leg vise?

Alan

I just acquired this vise from a friend that was tired of watching it rust at his place. I was initially intrigued by the profile of the jaws, (Farrier's vise?) and after cleaning it up a bit found several names. On the front of the vise jaw was MILLS, underneath and vertically was MOxxxANIA, NEW YORK, and under that horizontally the number 54. On the fixed leg was stamped SMITH & OSSO, BIRMINGHAM and maybe C. after. The screw is temporarily without a handle. The box was different from any of the others I have in that there are 2 of the "no twist" rails cast opposite each other and they both key into a slot at 12 and 6 o'clock in the vise. My guess is it was made by Smith & OSSO at one of the Birminghams, sold or distributed by Mills in New York. Please see the pic's. Any info about any of the names or companies would be appreciated. It was picked up near Bandera, TX about 30 years ago. Incidentally, the jaws are 4-5/8" and it stands 42" OA.
post-11473-0-13675600-1355894735_thumb.j
post-11473-0-91441500-1355894839_thumb.j
post-11473-0-15152300-1355894788_thumb.j
post-11473-0-11276500-1355894902_thumb.j
post-11473-0-59007700-1355894929_thumb.j

Well with that heavy section I don't think I would call it a farrier's vise. The only vise specific to farriers I can recall are the step vises. Frank Turley can set us straight on it!

The 54 should be the weight, which is pretty stout for a 4" vise, I've used a 35# one for decades as my "small vise". On one vise I had there was a date stamp on that location but it was a full 1899.

Generally I don't worry about who made my vises; in fact I sold on a Columbian that was fully marked on the back of the back jaw.

The double keeled screwbox is not too rare too.

Thanks, I guess it's just different from all the others I've acquired and seen down here in the hinterlands. Most usual are the Colombians and Iron City because they were the most popularly sold at the 2 big industrial supply stores in San Antonio. I have a couple of the stamped Columbians, appear late mfg by name and mfg changes. The double keeled is just ingenious and a great addition, but I can also see why the other "big" makers didn't use it. Sometimes I just get wrapped around the axle in insignificant trivial stuff, but it helps satisfy my curiosity. Thanks again!

Yeah, I don't know of specific farriers' vises, save American step vises. I'm always curious about the mount, whether tenoned or shackle-wrapped. If there is a rectanglular hole through the fixed leg just below the screw swelling, the vise is quite old and the hole is designed to receive a tenon. The tenon, in turn, will hold the spring and have a hole for wedging.

This one, sad to say, HAD a wrap around mounting. Wear indicates it wasn't very tight either. I will probably go back with a strap type wrap-around similar to Iron City. I am pretty jazzed about the angle of the jaws though, it will really help with access with chisels or files. Again, I Thank ya'll for your input, as usual, freely given and always informative!