I Forge Iron

Big Green Egg Lump Charcoal - good to use in forge?

Iron Song

Been trying to look for a charcoal I can use in my forge.

I spotted this brand yesterday at a Home Hardware, had them in bags of 10 and 20 pounds. The bag said "100% Natural Wood Lump Charcoal", and I looked into it on the charcoal review site posted on the forum, BGE seems to get its stuff from Royal Oak. I'm hoping I can use this for the forge, but the guy on the counter told me it was no good for what I intend. As far I seen, no one has used this brand for forging.

Its either that - or the Nature's Mesquites Hardwood Blend I bought, which I been told is mediocre due its partial burnt nature. I might be able to find some Royal Oak Lump somewhere, but Cowboy brand doesn't seem to be sold here in Canada.

I use royal oak for pretty often since I have to drive almost 3 hours to get real blacksmithing coal. It works a heck of a lot better than brickettes.

Yea, my closest coal source is about 2 hours away, but its really out there in the countryside. Its a farriers' shop, sells them for 30 dollars for a 50# bag.

I live in southern Iowa.  Couple hours south of me you can go to the grocery store and buy lump.  Folks cook with it a lot.  The thing is most clerks won't know beans about other uses ( or trendy names on the bag ).  Royal Oak is available at Wal Mart and Cowboy Brand is available at Menards.  Stremph brand is what I get in Missouri.  I think Joe gets his at Home depot in Kirksville.  Like Thomas said you can use scrap wood.  I use firewood to bank the forge in camp.

Forging with coal is a skill that takes time and experience with various coals you will find and whatever air supplies you will use.  It is rewarding to make things happen and learn fire management.  Charcoal will give you some instances to think differently but will do what you want as well.  Less air is the thing I have found. 

I live in southern Iowa.  Couple hours south of me you can go to the grocery store and buy lump.  Folks cook with it a lot.  The thing is most clerks won't know beans about other uses ( or trendy names on the bag ).  Royal Oak is available at Wal Mart and Cowboy Brand is available at Menards.  Stremph brand is what I get in Missouri.  I think Joe gets his at Home depot in Kirksville.  Like Thomas said you can use scrap wood.  I use firewood to bank the forge in camp.

Forging with coal is a skill that takes time and experience with various coals you will find and whatever air supplies you will use.  It is rewarding to make things happen and learn fire management.  Charcoal will give you some instances to think differently but will do what you want as well.  Less air is the thing I have found. 

After my very first project just this past weekend I realized exactly how important "less air" is when using lump charcoal.  I had a small amount of air aimed at the general direction of the underside of my brake disc fire pot - not attached or sealed, just a blow dryer on low and a 1" pipe pointed at the underside and after each heat I had to load up on another two handfuls of charcoal.  I was only blowing air on it when the material was in the fire and it still disappeared in seconds.  It seemed very effective as I was able to get 1/2 inch square cold rolled steel up to light orange in about 30 seconds but my goodness I blasted through a lot of fuel.  I've heard cold rolled is harder to work with but it was free, and I find free material the absulute easiest for me to work with.  I made a Tobbe Malm inspired bottle opener.  So much fun!

Actually cold rolled is often *Softer* than A36---once it's hot. After it's glowing all the work hardening that makes cold rolled cold rolled is *gone* and you are just down to the original alloy. Cold rolled is sometimes a cleaner milder steel than A36, though cold rolled A36 is showing up nowadays.

The local Walmart had lump charcoal for $5 something a bag
This early winter I converted 8 cord of 4 X 4s into charcoal using 4 55 gal barrels.
Coal and charcoal have similar BTUs per # so a pail of coal equals a barrel of charcoal.
Yes every heat you need to add a couple handfulls of charcoal that is the way it is.

Actually cold rolled is often *Softer* than A36---once it's hot. After it's glowing all the work hardening that makes cold rolled cold rolled is *gone* and you are just down to the original alloy. Cold rolled is sometimes a cleaner milder steel than A36, though cold rolled A36 is showing up nowadays.

Good to know, thank you.